Lorex 2k doorbell offline every 12 hours

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be the solution. I purchased the Lorex 2k doorbell intended to dive into the Lorex ecosystem to get 24/7 recording and moving away from battery cameras that require subscriptions.

When I can get this camera working it is great however it seems to never want to stay online. Essentially, the camera is going offline what seems like every 12 hours and appears to have no power to it until I cut power or reset it.

I have a tplink ax11000 router, tried both 2.4 and 5 channels. I’ve tried both dynamic and static IP addresses. Strength is no issue as router is just on the other side of the wall.

It’s wired to Home Depot Hampton bay Tri volt transformer. I’ve tried the 24V 20VA and 16V 10VA configurations. The doorbell will be completely unresponsive to pressing the ringer and no LED lights will be displayed, yet with a multimeter, there will be 28V in the 24v config at the transformer and back of the doorbell power-screws or 18V in the 16v config. As an aside, I could never get it togo online with the 16v config.

There is no powered chime and using the Wi-Fi chime. I did notice it did the same thing yesterday were it went offline and I unplugged and replaced it back in.

Would anyone have any clue to what is going on here? It seems bizarre that the doorbell (and chime) would just completely shutdown and go offline despite having power. I would think the doorbell would still be able to ring and display leds even if lost Wi-Fi signal. Or does the camera turn off completely if it hasn’t received a Wi-Fi signal in a certain amount of time?

is it possible it the camera hardwire and should replace it?

Any insight is appreciated

Reaction score
Update: Last night I tried a completely different router and turned off AI/QoS services. Placed the cam on a permanent static IP. Delivered 24V from transformer. And factory rest the camera. I got about 6 hours before the camera completely powered down and stop responding, no LEDs, no response to pressing doorbell.

This morning, I brought it inside and have it connected to the USB and going to monitor how long it stays active.

Here is my thought process —
— If powers off, it must be the camera and going to return. Not sure if I will abandon for another brand, try another unit, or just go with a dome cam above the door.

—If it maintains power, then it has to be something between the transformer or how the device is receiving the power at the power screws. Possibly replace transformer for something stronger like a 24v 30 VA or 40 VAor just return the device as above.

Is it possible that the device has sometype Of protective shutoff? Say get too hot from recording at 4k, HDR? Or the transformers actual no load voltage of 28v causes some breaker to trip?

For those who have it working, would you mind sharing how you have it set up? Such as:
Transformer v. USB? Transformer strength?

Router make? Dynamic v. Static IP? Any other special settings?

I really wish there would be a consumer PoE and would then run a CAT6 in the wall. Other than ring pro (no thanks to subscription) and Axis, are there any other PoE doorbells out there? Thanks.

Jokeracing

n3wb
Reaction score
Just purchased the same camera. Coming from the wired nest hello doorbell.

Same issue. Worked.fine the first day or 2. Now it keeps going offline, no power. The transformer still working as I wired my old nest and it powers right up without unplugging my transformer. Also checked with voltmeter and there was power to lorex which looked like it was just dead until I unplugged the transformer and plugged in again.

Did you ever figure it out? Thinking of returning and getting new one or just staying with the old nest doorbell.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The amcrest flavor of that camera is what I'm running, on the Amcrest smarthome App. It's been almost 1 year and It's disconnected from wifi inexplicably 3 times in the year, ( theres probably an explanation) but It seemed random. But pulling the fucking plastic cover off in February and listening to the Happy asshole computer voice telling me " WifI Hotspot enabled","Wifi Hotspot Disabled"
while dicking with an iphone in cold temps, is enough to make you wish for POE.
But 3 is less than your experiencing.
so they are like 89-99 bucks around the web. Uses the Amcrest Smarthome App.
Screenshot 2022-05-29 190835.jpg

Reaction score
I was never able to figure out the connection issue. I ended up returning and investing in the ring ecosystem. Not a huge fan that it is intermittent recording though there is so much motion outside my house that it essentially is 24/7 cloud based monitoring. Also there is something to be said for cloud based storage vs physical storage which you would need to put under lock and key if you get the fusion box. The Lorex camera was superior in quality.