Lorex Consumer Grade NVR - Switch or Router Use

Reaction score
I have a Lorex consumer grade NVR (Lorex NK182-85CB) with IP cameras.

I need to connect 3 cameras to the NVR, but there is only one CAT6 cable from the general location of the cameras (this location has power outlets) to the NVR.

My understanding is that with Pro grade NVRs, you can connect a router/switch into an ethernet port which allows one CAT cable to feed the NVR from several cameras. However, with the consumer grade NVRs they are not smart enough to handle this...

So my question is this... is there a way to 'condense' the 3 cameras into one CAT6 on one end (using a switch or router), then 'expand' (using a switch or router) them into 3 separate CAT cables to they can be connected to the NVR as it is expecting to see the signals.

Thank you,
Garrett

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You simply connect the POE switch with the cameras to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and not an NVR POE port.

The NVR probably won't auto find the cameras and you will need to manually add them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to first assign each camera an IP address.

This is the process for any Dahua OEM camera, which Lorex is:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1693519003560.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.