LPR Camera Compatible with Lorex

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 4K Ultra HD IP 16-Channel NVR System. I recently found out license plates can not be read with these cameras. Lorex has been unhelpful. Is there an LPR camera that will work with this system? Do I need to replace a camera or the DVR? I am very new to this and any help is appreciated.
Mike

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Of course Lorex has been unhelpful LOL. And of course plates cannot be read with those cameras LOL as they are probably 2.8 or 3.6mm focal lengths or maybe varifocal up to 12mm or so and you need much more OPTICAL zoom. Digital zooming after the fact only works in the movies and on TV.

You can get a camera such as the 5241-Z12E that you can setup to manually read plates, but you could not get an ANPR camera that automatically reads plates and logs them. That NVR wouldn't be able compatible with an ANPR camera.

See the LPR section

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1666386902178.png

My neighbor has the Lorex system and this camera is compatible with Lorex NVR (they are both made by Dahua).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thank you and pardon my ignorance. So, will I be able to connect the camera you mention to the CAT5 connection I currently have connected to the DVR and have it work and be able to access the images through my login to the DVR? Hope I am explaining correctly.
Mike

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. My neighbor has the Lorex system and like you was disappointed his ultra 4K Lorex system couldn't read plates (chasing MP is a big problem LOL but you will learn that in time as sensor size is more important. as well as focal length that the big box stores cheap out on).

So he bought this camera, that I also use for LPR, and he replaced one of the Lorex cameras with this one and by the time we got into his house the image was already showing on his monitor. We then went thru the camera GUI to access the settings and set it up.

By the way, you do not want to set camera settings up in the NVR, but rather in the camera.

orex is a Dahua OEM, so it follows the same steps, just the screen will look a little different:

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1666387614059.png