LPR Camera (HFW5231E-Z12E) located in a bush, as an alternative option

BankBuster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Just something that may not be all that common, so I'll share in hopes it might help someone who is having trouble picking a location. I've been having fun playing with a 5231 I got from Andy last year, trying to grab plates off vehicles that enter our bay, and I thought I'd share some crude photos of where I ended up mounting this camera. Wanting to get the camera close to the street for a good shot/angle, and not wanting it to look too ugly, get hit by sprinklers, or placed somewhere a car might park and block its view, I ended up putting it in a bush in the front yard pointing over my driveway to the street. I think it is working pretty well as far as I can tell, so I thought I'd share this as an option for those scratching their head for a place to mount a camera other than a garage/house that might not work for everybody. I did have to rent an 18" mini-trencher from HomeDepot to get the cables out to the post, but it was fun to use, loading up into 1/2 ton a little dicey, but this camera (and all cameras) have been working fine for a year now (Sask winters are -40C/F). The first couples pictures are from last fall, later ones are from spring. Yes the bush is pretty "bushy", it got trimmed pretty quickly after these shots. FYI, I ran 2 CAT 5Es (one as spare), one 4 pair 24AWG for misc stuff (one pair now being used to power an external mic that looks like half of a plastic golf ball), and a couple 16AWG wires that I was going to use to power an external IR light, but I didn't end up needing more IR light as the camera is pretty close to the plates and seems ok as-is. All cables buried together in some leftover 3/4" sprinkler water hose. It sneaks into the house's basement near the step, so no crossing any concrete.
I did use the ROI where the plates go through, so you can see the crappy image outside the box the plates go through. It seems to grab better shots of the plates using the ROI setting. I have it set to go B&W at a certain time as the focus was an issue when set to auto, that may have changed though. I am still on V2622.00000.23.R from 2018-03-30. If there is firmware you think is better, please let me know.
Anyway, I'll see if the pictures attach,,,

Attachments

Last edited:

BankBuster

n3wb
Reaction score
It is pretty hard to see the LPR cam in the bush as people walk into our bay, these two (looking for "deals" on stuff in cars on our bay last week, oh a bike went too) did not see the camera at all, they did see the ones on the house. See video, it's sad to see just how much crap is going on out there, once you have cameras :(. I have the LPR at about face level, shooting out over where the sidewalk meets my driveway, right where people turn to come up to the door, so I guess this a secondary duty for this camera. These are the stills the LPR grabbed at night when setup for plate duty. It works good in the day for both LPR and regular color, at night it's mostly plate only, but hey, not bad.

video from turret on garage for reference.

This is what the LPR was able to add to this incident. I was sick of observing, but not able to ID stuff on the street, so this camera is about as close to the street as I can get.

Attachments

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I like it. I will say in my neighborhood a lot of the car door checking and other crimes have gone way down. I would like to think that the cameras on my house and the neighbors have had a big effect on crime in the area.

Last edited: