LPR - faded plates

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys
Any software/technique I can use to see what these kind of faded plates read?
Nothing special about this car, just saw that when the plates have lost their reflective coating (or done on purpose to avoid road cam captures), they just look black on the video.
This is what I see on the video
plate.JPG
This is what I can do with some brightness etc tweaking
plate2.JPG

There are police software like Amped Five etc which one cannot get easily, so was searching for something that could do similar things like deblur, remove grain etc

This is what I normally get with OK plates:
plate3.JPG

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys
Any software/technique I can use to see what these kind of faded plates read?
Nothing special about this car, just saw that when the plates have lost their reflective coating (or done on purpose to avoid road cam captures), they just look black on the video.
This is what I see on the video
View attachment 19158
This is what I can do with some brightness etc tweaking
View attachment 19159

There are police software like Amped Five etc which one cannot get easily, so was searching for something that could do similar things like deblur, remove grain etc

This is what I normally get with OK plates:
View attachment 19162
which cam you are using?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of us will run into the issue of non reflective number plates at night from time to time, which looks something like this.
View attachment 17968

When I built my new number plate recognition setup I wanted to eliminate the unreadable plate so I put a starlight on the job running 1/250s shutter at night. The result is this

View attachment 17969

Combining the IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 with the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 has worked very well for me.
That's how I overcome the issue

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes, the starlights... I knew I will be thinking about getting new cameras, but did not think that quick. Just wanted a cheap cam for LPR, so went with HFW4431R-Z which does an OK job most of the time. When Z5 come down in price (never?) I may replace my 4431 with a starlight with a bit more zoom