LPR Fighting Crime - IPC Member?!?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Here’s a perfect example of using the latest technology to help fight crime. In this case the gentleman’s video
camera system was able to capture hit & run vehicles to catalytic converter crimes. :thumb:

The video does call out the person by name but wanted to know if he is a IPC Member as well?!?

If so, I solute you and your 20 video security cameras!:headbang:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is @wtimothyholman and here is his thread about it:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes it is @wtimothyholman and here is his thread about it:

You’re awesome . . . :headbang:

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this. I have several of Andy's Dahua cameras around my house, and the quality of the images continues to amaze me. About a week ago an incident happened at my house overnight, and I didn't even realize it, until after reviewing the camera footage later the next day. As I scanned the video I noticed a guy walking up and down the driveway with a machete! Eventually the guy in the video was seen running down the driveway and was subsequently arrested by the police. The cameras that captured the best images were the Color 4K-T180 and my PTZ that I have mounted above my garage. The PTZ is great for zooming in and getting closeups of the suspects, and the T180 is wonderful as an overview camera. Color really makes a difference, as you can see in this video.

Reaction score
Here’s a perfect example of using the latest technology to help fight crime. In this case the gentleman’s video
camera system was able to capture hit & run vehicles to catalytic converter crimes. :thumb:

The video does call out the person by name but wanted to know if he is a IPC Member as well?!?

If so, I solute you and your 20 video security cameras!:headbang:

Thank you! I just did a quick count of my current setup. Counting the five Wyze Cam models I use to show people how to set up a low-cost system, I have 26 cameras online, with 21 IP cameras managed by SecuritySpy on my office iMac, streaming continuous time video to a 16 TB disk array.

Yes, I admit I'm a bit obsessive and perhaps slightly paranoid. But ... am I paranoid enough? :cool:

Reaction score
Does anyone have the model number for this LPR camera?
All joking aside with respect to clueless TV reporters, from my tests the Wyze OG Telephoto is fully capable of LPC for moving vehicles at a distance of about 40 feet in the daytime. Day or night it can read the license plate of a stationary vehicle from 70 feet away.

Wyze could produce a low-cost LPC camera if they released a 10X zoom model (which they admit they have tested), and gave users the ability to adjust exposure and frame rate.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All joking aside with respect to clueless TV reporters, from my tests the Wyze OG Telephoto is fully capable of LPC for moving vehicles at a distance of about 40 feet in the daytime. Day or night it can read the license plate of a stationary vehicle from 70 feet away.

Wyze could produce a low-cost LPC camera if they released a 10X zoom model (which they admit they have tested), and gave users the ability to adjust exposure and frame rate.
So you're saying Wyze could produce a camera with the specs to capture plates if they produced one?

Reaction score
So you're saying Wyze could produce a camera with the specs to capture plates if they produced one?
What I'm saying is that Wyze could produce a camera with the capability to read license plates, but they would never market it as such. It would be a nightmare trying to guide most of their customers through the process of setting up a "Wyze License Plate Cam Pro".

But if they marketed a 10X zoom version of the Wyze OG Telephoto (and they did experiment with that zoom factor), and if they gave users the ability to manually override the standard defaults for frame rate, exposure, and compression rate, then a lot of buyers would use them for LPC. The camera sensor is quite capable of license plate capture. I'm sure Wyze would disavow any such application of the camera, but that wouldn't matter. The camera would be quite popular among the do-it-yourself crowd.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that Wyze could produce a camera with the capability to read license plates, but they would never market it as such. It would be a nightmare trying to guide most of their customers through the process of setting up a "Wyze License Plate Cam Pro".

But if they marketed a 10X zoom version of the Wyze OG Telephoto (and they did experiment with that zoom factor), and if they gave users the ability to manually override the standard defaults for frame rate, exposure, and compression rate, then a lot of buyers would use them for LPC. The camera sensor is quite capable of license plate capture. I'm sure Wyze would disavow any such application of the camera, but that wouldn't matter. The camera would be quite popular among the do-it-yourself crowd.
Yes, you said that. My point is that any company could produce a thing if they produced it. Saying they could really means nothing if they don't. They have one component out of many that are needed to accomplish the goad. They "could" but they don't.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm always concerned that providing footage identifies your property and perps might return in retaliation. We don't have armed deterence here in Aus.

Reaction score
I'm always concerned that providing footage identifies your property and perps might return in retaliation. We don't have armed deterence here in Aus.
I've had many people ask me the same thing over the years: "Aren't you afraid someone will retaliate against you for providing video from your cameras to the police?" Yet it has never been an issue.

It's not me that is providing the evidence against them - it's my cameras. You can try to impeach a human's testimony, but how do you impeach a video recording? The video shows what it shows. If anything, the perpetrators steer well clear of my home afterwards. As one of them learned (after several months in jail), the same cameras that recorded you the first time you broke into my car will also record you when you try it a second time.

If you're going to have security cameras, use them. Go all in. If you're afraid to provide footage to the police for fear of something a criminal will do to you, there's no point to having cameras at all.

Last edited: