LPR for Stop Violations (storage and setup)

Reaction score
Has anybody used LPR to automatically (or not) detect stop violations and capture the license plate? I have the Loryta HFW5241E-Z12E.

I'm working with some neighbors to get this camera set up at a three way stop intersection. We made some progress today to get the camera set up and get video from it through a web browser. We still need to mount the camera and figure out which software to use.

What is a good NVR for this camera? Does anybody use the SD card for storage? Does cloud storage work well at all?

Do most people use Blue Iris? We want multiple neighbors (different households) to be able to access the camera and videos. Does anybody have that setup?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll have to define what you actual goals are - ie what do you want to do with that information. Obviously you are not the police (and I would be shocked if the the police would do anything with any information you provided them) so I don't know how you plan to interact with any offenders. We don't need to know, but you need to define this with your neighbors IMHO.

That being said, I'm not sure what type of system/software can be used to detect stop sign violations. It seems like it would require some pretty complicated detection algorithms.

There are a lot of people on this forum that capture plate information. Some of us just record LPR footage without the need to identify cars/plates (I currently fall into this category) to have for the "just in case" scenario. But many members go a step further and use software to pull the plate data from their LPR footage, send that plate data to a paid service, and get vehicle registration and ownership records back. You'll have to decide which you want to have. There are lot of threads here that talk about how to set that type of system up if you are interested.

The good news is that the hardware is basically the same for either use case. You can start with the simple captures and always add the subscription records element in the future.

I doubt anyone uses cloud storage for this use case. First, it is unreliable. Second, it is expensive. Having a local NVR or BlueIris system is definitely the way to go. (Blue Iris probably being the better option if you want to add a subscription record service - although since I haven't actually done that myself, I don't really know if it is possible with an NVR or not).

As far as giving access to multiple people, it really just depends on what your level of network knowledge is. I think the best way to handle this would be to have the BI machine setting in a sort of network DMZ (demilitarized zone) which can be accessed from the WAN but not have access to the rest of the LAN. This could be as simply as creating a VLAN with only the BI machine and/or LPC camera on it and giving those people VPN access to it (while blocking the VLAN from accessing any other part of the LAN), but that would require that everyone knows how to use a VPN. Another option would be to set up some sort of public server/device (ie your BI machine or LPR camera with remote login capabilities turned on) in a true DMZ that these people could access. I'm sure you could lock it down (as much as possible) from outsider by having some sort of strong login mechanism. This way people could just type in an internet address on any device and log into the server, but of course that poses a much larger security risk since the server/devices would be exposed to the internet. That being said, the "damage" done by a hacker would be minimal since it would be the only thing exposed to the WAN (as long as everything is set up correctly). In either case, you'll likely need to use a DDNS (dynamic DNS service) to allow a static domain name to be used that will point back to the systems public IP address (that likely changes if you are using a residential internet provider).

Of course all of that is coming from a non expert when it comes to IT - so take all of that with a grain of salt. I know just enough to be dangerous, but not helpful enough to actually set something like that up!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The networking portion would be ideal for ZerioTeir.
Set it up once, and let it run.
The users would simply use the IP address that is established by ZerioTeir to connnect.
Cloud storage for anything is simply not advisable.
Sure you can use an SD card, but then you're limited to what options the camera itself offers for recording and alerts.
But yeah, you need to define exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have stated my goal better.

My goal is to capture stop sign violators as my city's police department chief has agreed to send a letter (not a ticket) to anybody who clearly violates a stop. The more we can automate it, the better. We don't know the best way for the police to do this yet, but they've just asked for the video and license plate number and they'll do the rest. So, yes, the police are actually involved.

We will be taking baby steps to get to that goal:
1) Get the camera set up in a good location where it can capture and store video of the violation and the license plate. Very manual. We're partway through this step.
2) Get the license plates automatically recorded. I know there is a ton of software options for this. Will still require neighbors to view footage and manually save/send videos.
3) Detect a stop violation and capture the license plate automatically.

We may try to look at something like this:

We won't be looking into getting any registration data ourselves, but that's nice to know that's possible.

When you mean "Blue Iris" for recording, do you just mean using Blue Iris on a PC that has a substantial hard drive to record and save?

Thanks for the tips on the networking. We are thinking about a public server/device.

I saw Blue Iris has remote access. Will that allow for users outside of that network to access? That may solve the problem if there is some remote login that people can use.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anybody used LPR to automatically (or not) detect stop violations and capture the license plate? I have the Loryta HFW5241E-Z12E.

I'm working with some neighbors to get this camera set up at a three way stop intersection. We made some progress today to get the camera set up and get video from it through a web browser. We still need to mount the camera and figure out which software to use.

What is a good NVR for this camera? Does anybody use the SD card for storage? Does cloud storage work well at all?

Do most people use Blue Iris? We want multiple neighbors (different households) to be able to access the camera and videos. Does anybody have that setup?
To have people accessing the camera, the most direct way is to redirect required ports eg 554 from your public ip address to the camera local ip.
If your public ip is dynamic then you will need a dynamic dns (ddns) server to map your domain name. The router may provide such a ddns service.

To find the rtsp url of your camera , try using the windows app "Onvif device manager".
Or google with your cameras make and model.