LPR software recommendations?

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am getting to the point where I need some third party software. I prefer to have something that is not cloud based or API based. I am looking for software i can purchase and install on a server. What is out there. I did tried compiling OPENLPR this morning but I hit some snags with visual studio and I think it is a comparability issue with the .dll. I do not mind paying for something, otherwise I will continue the route of the open source software. Thanks

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using OpenALPR, the $5.00 a month version. You mention you don't want cloud based, the OpenALPR solution is a bit of both.

Your CPU and video process everything locally so you are not uploading your video stream to the cloud. Plate matches are sent to OpenALPR site, the actual photos the software takes are stored locally on your computer.

Another option which just came out a few days ago is a solution by Sighthound ALPR. I've installed it on a Windows machine. The detection is OK, but on my install there are major stability issues and the photos is captures are often corrupt. It is pulling video from the exact same source as OpenALPR so I know it is not the data feed providing the corrupt photos.

One thing that is nice about Sighthound ALPR is it records multiple photos of the plate, which is nice but until it is stable not really worth considering for me.