LPR Success - Police report from plate to find someone littering outside my house

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Z4E does not have ANPR capability, but the NVR does. Both need ANPR capability for it to work. But with ANPR capability, then you don't need a 3rd party solution like OpenALPR....(well many here that have ANPR capable systems say that the 3rd party apps are more accurate).

The Z4E is certainly capable of being configured to then use a 3rd party like OpenALPR or Plate Recognizer and many here use that camera for LPR purposes, but then at night all it does is plate reading due to the fast shutter needed. If you can get the right angle to I think it was around 60 feet or so (might be a little more), then it certainly is possible.
Thank you for your guidance. I will get busy ordering the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E then. I was told it was a good NVR so seems worth the investment. I am holding of ordering another Z4E as I am sure I read a thread from Andy implying new 2021 Camera range is imminent, so may be worth holding of just a while longer :).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Z4E is good but its limited focal length means ~85 feet is about the max range you can get plates with it. I had one for about six months before I replaced it with the older 2MP 5241-Z12. I needed a bit more focal length than the Z4E could provide.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
With my Z12 at maximum zoom, I am collecting plates in the 150 to 210 foot range.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to get my Z12 to get plates at 220 feet, but many of the plates I would have to take a guess on one or more of the characters, especially at night.

So I kept bringing the number down (but also getting further away from the recommended max angle) and I am currently at 175 feet and is a good compromise between distance, angle, and ability to get plates. I do wish the distance was closer, but that is what the Z12 zoom is for!

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Good to hear, wittaj. In my case, the street curves and the distant plates face the camera pretty well as they come around the bend.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Put a trash can over there with a sign the says "For Nelson".