Lurker joining in

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been lurking for a few months and decided to join the ipcamtalk forum. Living in the northeast of Massachusetts and reading in the papers of all the drug related arrests and break-ins, I decided a security camera system is a good idea. I want to document what is going on around my property.
This system will consist of two outdoor cameras, one looking 200' down the driveway to the road and a second camera pointing to the backyard. Hikevision is looking like my first choice and their new 4MP cameras are impressive.
My first purchase was a QNAP 563 NAS and I have that up and running connecting my computers. This NAS has surveillance station software installed and a lists compatible cameras. Looking at Hikevision, it shows for example, DS-2CD2032-I using firmware version 5.1.0 and H.264 video. This is a 3MP camera. If I try to upgrade and use a 4MP camera like the Hikevision DS-2CD2042-I can I expect it to work? Maybe my question should be, will a camera with H.264 video work no matter of the pixel count?
I will post the progress of my installation with pictures when it happens.
Dave

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The answer to your questions is... it depends. And for NVRs, if they don't support 3MP then they won't work. QNAP NAS I'm not sure, but should be the same. It may be that it is supported though (see below).

DS-2CD2032-I you will struggle to get lower than 5.2.5, this shouldn't make any difference so I guess the support list hasn't been updated. 2032 can run at 1080p, which just chops a bit of the top and bottom off and makes it slightly wider view angle.

DS-2CD2042WD-I can also run at 1080p, but seems a waste!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Del Boy. The QNAP camera list must be old. I will take a chance and purchase the 4MP cameras.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I also have a QNAP NAS running Surveillance Station. Did your 4mp camera work with the QNAP?

Reaction score
Hi acp_xp,
I have not yet purchased the 4MP cameras to use with my QNAP TS-563 NAS. I have decided not purchase from a Chinese supplier and will purchase from milkisbad or Nelly's Security. There are so many problems with cameras with Hikvision firmware versions above 5.2.5 that I want to be able to talk with the seller and be able to return a camera if it does not work. I am still waiting for milkisbad to return from vacation.
QNAP Surveillance Station looks to be great software but the Hikvision's recommended cameras are way out-of-date. It must be tough for QNAP to keep the list current without buying all the latest cameras.
I am just being patient and gathering information from this and other forums.
bent valves

uski

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

If anyone has information regarding the support of the 4MP cameras with QNAP NVRs, I'm extremely interested to know about it !

uski

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @bent valves (nice username btw). @uski I recommend you create your own thread with this issue.

Last edited: