"Mailbox" Camera

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a custom mailbox post that I can "camouflage" a LPR camera in to catch traffic coming down our street. There has been some recent thefts in our neighborhood so I'm ready to step up my game. Our home is almost at the end of a dead-end street.

My plan is buy 500 feet of direct burial shielded cable and run 2 lines to the house (in case I add a second camera or need the backup cable). These runs will be ~200 feet from the camera to the attic plus another ~100 feet of CMR across the attic to my POE switch / Blue Iris machine. I will join the two runs with a CAT6 junction box. Total run should be ~300 feet or less so I will be below the maximum recommend length of 328 feet for CAT6 cables.

My primary question is since my camera will pretty much be within a couple feet of the road, what type of camera should I use for LPR usage? Should I consider installing two cameras (one for LPR and one for general use)? I haven't designed my mailbox yet so I can customize it as needed. I need to decide on cameras first to ensure I accommodate them appropriately. In the attached picture, the red circle is my current mailbox location.

Attachments

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommend you mess around with the cameras that @bigredfish mentioned at IPVM Camera Calculator V3 to see where you zoom in how the clarity is this site really helped me get a good idea of how I want to plan my LPR system which I have yet to purchase but sometime in the near future I will begin purchasing all my equipment.