Major problem w/sensing large objects

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Report...

The new feature (unchecked) does solve the full frame sweep problem. Now larger vehicles that sweep the full frame do set off an alert when object detection is being used. So that's fixed!

Waiting to see if the problem where passing headlights and taillights are not detected even with object detection off (at night) can be fixed.

Mike

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE

Ken requested a BVR (manual recording) showing my telephoto camera not being able to capture taillights and headlights in an otherwise black frame. In other words, a recording showing that... where the alert never fires. Sent him three of those yesterday so I'm hopeful he'll come up with a solution to that as well. Other than not being able to detect "moving/passing lights in a black frame", 4.3.0.9 is running well for me. If he can correct this final issue, BI will again be perfect in my setup.

Mike

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just another update...

4.3.0.10 still doesn't fix the issue where my camera can't detect taillights or headlights sweeping across an otherwise black frame. Ken has had other things to do, so I'm hoping he just hasn't gotten to it yet and he'll work that fix into the next version or so. I sent him several BVR files as samples. Funny thing is, if I crank up the gain on that camera so that the background is super noisy, it works. It only fails when the background is solid black. So I think BI has another hardcoded filter that doesn't work with lights moving across a black frame.

Mike

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Yet it DID catch these set of headlights gong from left to right last night. And they're even smaller.
I still think it has something to do with objects 'coming vs going.' In your last couple examples, the one that was missed
was receding taillights, while the smaller ones that did get caught were moving towards the camera.

most passing cars my 2 plate cams miss are in the receding direction, ie, getting smaller with each subsequent frame.
need to set up a constant recording in parallel for proof/debugging...

if I crank up the gain on that camera so that the background is super noisy, it works
interesting. I'll play with that a bit too. trying not go too crazy changing more than one thing at a time...

thanx.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still think it has something to do with objects 'coming vs going.' In your last couple examples, the one that was missed
was receding taillights, while the smaller ones that did get caught were moving towards the camera.

most passing cars my 2 plate cams miss are in the receding direction, ie, getting smaller with each subsequent frame.
need to set up a constant recording in parallel for proof/debugging...

interesting. I'll play with that a bit too. trying not go too crazy changing more than one thing at a time...

thanx.
It's a reasonable theory, but I think I can disprove it. When cars go left to right, it's two headlights that are brighter and bigger than most taillights and they get bigger. Still doesn't fire. What does fire is motion perpendicular to the camera though, but I think the common thread there is that those are pulling up driveways and the headlights on the right and taillights on the left move much slower through the frame (not as much distance between each frame). They fire, even though they are dimmer and substantially smaller than the ones travelling faster on the road. I think it has something to do with the black frame and BI not seeing the lights as linear motion across the frame, maybe because it has no reference baclkground. If it thought they were lights turning on/off at different spots in the frame, it might filter them out (even though I do NOT have object detection enabled).

Mike

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE

I supplied Ken with some BVR files and the camera export for diagnosis. I'm happy to report that 4.3.0.14 has solved the issue with BI not detecting passing lights on a dark frame. My telephoto camera picked up every set of passing headlights and taillights last night... for the first time. Big thanks to Ken!

Mike