Manual night LPR success with a (relativily) inexpensive camera

Reaction score
After several failed attempts with other cameras, I have succeeded in getting very satisfactory manual night LPR results in Blue Iris using a relatively inexpensive camera, the Loryta Z12E S2, available on Amazon as of Oct 2023 for $260.

The first image shows the general setup in a view taken by a Reolink Duo 2 wide-angle camera located above a front porch roof and about 8 feet above, 10 feet to the left, and 8 feet behind (toward the bottom of the frame) the LPR camera, which is located on the underside of the front eave of the roof.

The center plane of focus for the LPR is located at the red crosshatch, which is 90 feet distant, 14 feet above, and 30 degrees off-bore of the center of the street from the camera.

As expected, the glare of the oncoming vehicle’s headlights completely blocks imaging of the license plate.

The second photo shows the license plate on the same vehicle as imaged by the Loryta camera at 80% zoom with a one-1/500 of a second shutter speed, 85 percent exposure compensation, and “3D” (the manufacturer's term, not mine) noise reduction enabled.

This is a typical result, and at this shutter speed, plates are clearly imaged up to at least 40 MPH.

The third image is at the maximum software zoon supported by Blue Iris.

I was quite skeptical of the Loryta despite generally positive reviews as it costs half to a third of the typical price of “low-end” LPR cameras from better-known manufacturers, but seeing, in this case, was believing.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5241-Z12E is the go to camera for most of us here to capture plates and there are dozens of threads highlighting this.

Loryta is sold by EmpireTech here on this site and is rebranded Dahua.

Last edited: