Mini PTZ bug? Recorded bitrate is lower then what is set in the UI

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try for instance 4000 bit rate with 15 fps and compare the results with live view and recorded file. Recorded file will show lower bit rate as well as will have worse quality then live view. With Hikvision I doesn't seem to be an issue.
I guess I'm still confused...I would expect a recording to look worse than live, if I halved the bitrate and FPS.

Still it would be interesting to find out what Hui is using (versus Hik, for example) for codec, and whether we can dig deeper into it, or fiddle with the firmware to inject better performance if Hui doesn't do software the actual development..do we even know that for sure?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The reason why most of you say the IQ is correct is that you are looking at a still image.

Try the following:

Go from a preset to another one and watch closely.
When it gets to the target preset, the camera stops moving.

At this precise moment, the image is full of macroblocks. It should'nt.
But it improves over time because the following frames help to fill the areas. This is what I call 3D optimization (third dimension beeing the time).
The whole process takes a couple of seconds. When it is done, the image is perfect (or so).
Of course, this process cannot be done if there is movement.

My goal when I bought this camera was to take closeups of intruders and report evidence.

When I read the specifications of this camera I thought they were OK for this project, as far as they are complied with.

Because of the closeup requirement, any small movement is magnified.
But with a shutter speed of say 1/100 or 1/200, there shouldn't have been any problem in getting a perfect image.
But this 3D optimization totally ruins the IQ as it doesn't have time to refine the moving macroblocks.

Thats the reason why I wanted to go deeper in the analysis and undertand why I was not able to get proper images.
The bitrate is only one of the many reasons.
Well you already brought up a good issue and we digged around this a bit but with your settings of 4000 mbps and 6 fps you are not getting good IQ and will be seeing a lot of blocks. Set it to max 10240 @30 fps and disable Digital Noise Reduction and let us know the results, because I am not seeing blocks at that setting.

Also, please report any issues you find to Monica, otherwise it will not be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

jptheking

n3wb
Reaction score
OK klaspica. You gave me part of the explanation.

After many experiments, I got to the conclusion that:

- Hikvision video bitrate in UI is fixed. Not depending upon fps. Standard in the video world.
- Huisun's video bitrate in UI is proportional to fps (it shouldn't)

For example:

Hik's spec:
30 fps @ 4Mbps => actual=4 Mbps
15 fps @ 4Mbps => actual=4 Mbps

Huisun's spec:
30 fps @ 4Mbps => actual=4 Mbps
15 fps @ 4Mbps => actual=2 Mbps

So, if I want to use 6 fps, I am limited to about 2048 Kbps max (10240/30*6).
Form experience, I was using 4Mbps but it went down to actual 800Kbps!

With these values, the IQ is correct. Should have be told that from the start...

Now I want to use 12fps@10240 at least (4096 Kbps). This also should speed up block refining if any.

By the way, I frame interval has almost no effect on bitrate. I choose 2 seconds, ie 24 @ 12fps

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Huisun's video bitrate in UI is proportional to fps (it shouldn't)
Did you report this issue? It's ridiculous that we have to run at 30 fps to get the optimal bit rate. I am using 20 fps on all my cams. Also, CBR and VBR setting doesn't make any difference as well as I frame interval.

jptheking

n3wb
Reaction score
No I didn't. Maybe you can do that for me if you have regular good contacts with either Monica or somebody else in their tech department. I dont want to offload but it might be better if somebody would collect all issues and transmit to Monica. Otherwise contradictory information may reach her if coming from too many different sources.

Bitrate is not really an issue as long as you know how it can be handled. This is not standard for sure.

BTW you have to run at 30 fps to get the *maximum* bitrate, the optimum could be less.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have been trying to report other issues before, such as motion detection and is been months and still no acknowledgement there is an issue

Monica's emailwenmonica15@yahoo.com

jptheking

n3wb
Reaction score
OK will do.

Another bug:
Have you noticed that Sharpness usable range is 0-5? 6-100 does not increase sharpness any more.

I am using 3. I find the default 50 much too sharp for my taste.

(If setting it at 0 shows the actual IQ from the sensor, its very bad by the way...)