Mini-PTZ PTZ425DB-AT and sensor replacement?

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I am interested in a PTZ425DB-AT mini-PTZ but I have read that its capabilities at night are not really great because the 1/2.8" sensor is not ideal for a 4MP camera.
Have any of you tried replacing the sensor with a 1/1.8" one which would be more suitable for nighttime (I don't know if it's technically possible or if it's too complicated)

Thank you for your answers!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest issue is the sensor/processor is all in one, so taking apart a 5442 and putting its sensor in the PTZ would likely mean the camera then wouldn't work as a PTZ and you simply made a new 5442 form factor in mini ptz form lol

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am interested in a PTZ425DB-AT mini-PTZ but I have read that its capabilities at night are not really great because the 1/2.8" sensor is not ideal for a 4MP camera.
Have any of you tried replacing the sensor with a 1/1.8" one which would be more suitable for nighttime (I don't know if it's technically possible or if it's too complicated)
OMG...
You can't put bigger sensor into existing cam with optics designed for smaller one..
All optic path (all internal lenses - widths and diagonals plus distances between them) must be increased proportionally to increase of sensor size..

PTZ425 is small because have small sensor and small optic path. Optic path in this model is optimized for smallest possible size - so it don't have good image / night performance.

To fit 1/1.8" sensor You must go PTZ5A - which is much bigger and have space for much bigger optic path (lenses). And in case of PTZ5A it is not only bigger sensor but much better optics path optimized for quality not a small size..

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll throw out a few opinions:
1. Would you have the specialized soldering equipment to pull and replace the sensor? I doubt it, but then again, I don't know that.
2. Can you find a 1/1.8 sensor with the same mounting, pinout, and electrical interface? I doubt that too, but again don't know.
3. Is there enough space on the circuit board for the 1/1.8 sensor?

And if you got past all of that and it worked, the optics wouldn't fully illuminate the 1/1.8 sensor. You would have traded resolution for sensitivity.