Mini PTZ with POE + High Ambient temps failures

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe the non poe+ works but gets hotter if not enough juice? Anyone fry one with poe+?
I was just recently wondering myself if the units were somehow being underpowered...The initial owners manual provided by Huisun said the cam used 18 watts of power, thus I bought a POE+ injector (rated 48v, 0.5a = 24 watts)...As mentioned, I did run mine at 96ºF outside with no issues....Also, only using a 25 ft cat 5e cable between the injector and the camera, so there shouldn't be an extreme voltage loss along the cable....

The specs were later changed to only needing 12 watts and if I'm not mistaken, I believe some on this board had used a power tester and found that it was only using like 11 point something watts max and thus POE+ was not really necessary...

I don't remember if any of the failures specified if they were using POE+ verses standard POE. Would be interesting to make up a list or chart of some sort of those that have failed and those that have not failed and including specs like the injector that was used, the power ratings for those injectors, approx. cable length used, etc...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I can tell you all my units been hooked up to NVR which is POE and have not had any trouble and I have measured before the wattages it doesn't go higher then 12W.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can tell you all my units been hooked up to NVR which is POE and have not had any trouble and I have measured before the wattages it doesn't go higher then 12W.
Are you using long cables? Also, what was the highest temp you recall while using internal POE before installing splitters?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I already pointed out the spec sheet for your NVR indicates you are using PoE+

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet
Which spec sheet? it's not poe+ according to Hikvision spec.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_212_i5729.html

I see you are refering to "Supported standard IEEE 802.3 af/at", but there is no other mention that it provides up to 25.5 W

If you look at 7600-E2, it's the same thing. I highly doubt that really means they will be providing 25W per port when max is 120W for 8 ports (120/8=15)

http://oversea-download.hikvision.com//uploadfile/user manual & datasheet/UD.6L0202G2020A01_Spec of DS-7600NI-E1&E2_P_V3.3.2_20150702.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it has a celling of 200W, but a single port can provide at minimum 25W if the celling has not been reached.. this is very common among PoE to have a celling that wont let you theoretically use maximum power out each port at the same time.. your NVR is PoE+ or Hikvision is lying blatantly in spec sheets, quit spreading incorrect info that you are using a standard PoE NVR w/these cameras.. you are not.

my 24 port High Power PoE Midspan has a 950W celing, it can provide ~40W out each port at the same time and its very high end for that capability.. but I am using a mere 100W and I have it about 75% filled up.. so hitting the celling is unlikely.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I go by what I read in the spec and there was no mention of wording "POE+ or up to 25.5 per port", all it says "Supported standard IEEE 802.3 af/at", if it really is indeed 25.5 per port then all is better. However, the splitter that I am using on all my Huisun cameras is 12W 1Amp, so that tells me that it should work ok with POE switch.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think what Interpon was suggesting is that POE is barely enough to power it, but it may somehow be stressing the limits and causing excessive heat...

It's been so many years since I've studied electricity, that I honestly don't remember if this is possible....That is, would a 12v 1a power supply pulling the full 1a run hotter than a 12v 2a power supply pulling the same 1a ? They both support the 12 watts and are running 12 watts, but would the "max 12 watt" power supply be hotter at the full power than a "max 24 watt" power supply only running at half it's capable power?

I seem to recall that too little voltage can cause overheating from current overload (as more amps of current would be needed to maintain the needed power level and may surpass the max rating)...Just not sure if maxing out to 100% of the power supply rating would cause higher heat levels than only half maxing out a stronger power supply, given the same overall power usage in both cases.

Also note, I realize two 12-watt items could produce different amounts of heat due to different efficiencies, but lets just assume equal efficiency between the 12watt and 24watt power supplies in this hypothetical question to compare only heat relative to maxing out verses half maxing out a power supply with the same resultant power.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my LPR birdhouse camera I ended up running a 2nd ethernet cable to it, put the 12v splitter on its own line and spliced it in inside my basement.. otherwise I was burning up splitters running it inside the birdhouse w/the load of the camera and IR at night it would max out the splitter and start dropping out the camera.. the splitter was extremely hot running at these loads, even 2A splitters with PoE+ power.

it depends on the efficiency of the PoE, I have a PoE+ Access point that pulls alot of power.. and boy does it generate some heat.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also does it matter if u are running the cam at 1080p or 720p? Higher resolution higher temps? I'm recording on sd card with 720p medium settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think its going to depend largely on power consumption.. like turning down the LED power and reducing cpu load.