Mini-Review of the PTZ4M-25X-PV and compared to other PTZs

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@jmcu put together a really good video on the PTZ4M-25X-PV, which is the replacement to the popular 49425 model.

I have been playing with one and @EMPIRETECANDY asked me to share my thoughts and do some comparison images of my other PTZs, so I won't replicate the stuff in the video.

Even though this camera is on the less than ideal MP/sensor ratio, the updated chipset and improved IR make it an improvement over the 49425.

The IR is a more focused, tighter beam of light than the previous PTZs. We started to see that with the miniPTZ, but this takes it to a new level. It can be offsetting to some because on wide zoom you will have a white hotspot in the middle of the image, but it improves the distance capabilities tremendously. It is doubling the distance range I have with the 49425.

The hotter IR does cause some issues at close range and washout, so that is something to keep in mind, but most of us have close range covered with fixed cameras.

Sadly, the white light LED does nothing except up close.

The speaker is a nice addition, but it isn't very loud. The 4K/X speaker is much louder, as is the T180.

The red/blue light is still kinda gimmicky, but some people like the visual deterrence.

It is the best autotracking of my PTZs.

Since people seemed to like the Halloween mask my neighbor tricked me with on a prior review, and with that Holiday in a couple weeks based on stores LOL, Here are some examples.

The first one is the ever popular 49225 PTZ that is 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor:

colorwalking2.jpg

Since I have so many PTZs LOL, I have forced this one in color. Gain is high and has some noise, but it helps with color at some distance. But because I force it in color, it has the shortest distance range of my PTZs.

Next up is the brother to the 49225, which is the 49425, which is 4MP on the same 1/2.8" sensor:

49425bw1.jpg

I cannot run this one in color as the double the MP just make the image too dark or blurry to slow the shutter down to make it brighter.

Next is the miniPTZ:

miniptz2.jpg

This PTZ took me the longest to dial in, but like most, the focus is a tad soft on it, even with a standing still object.

Next is the PTZ4M-25X-PV

NewPTZ1.jpg

You can see how much brighter it is. You can see more details as well.

I still have to dial in this PTZ for target ratio and optimize the other settings, but it is pretty close.

I will update this with some video as I spend more time dialing it in.

TL/DR - the PTZ4M-25X-PV is an improvement over the prior favorite 49425. While I would love it in a 2MP, the improved IR allows you to get by with the 4MP. It is the new best sub $450 PTZ, and the speaker and TIOC features adds value for those wanting it. You can always turn it off if you don't want the TIOC features. Between this PTZ and the miniPTZ, I would opt for this one in every instance where form factor isn't an issue.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for @wittaj share for this camera, this ptz we sold around 100pcs, but mainly to installers,the feedback is bit good. So we hope more home users can select this one too.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is my new favorite PTZ.

I was hesitant at first as the first go around of TIOC cameras were kinda gimmicky and suffered from image quality that we are all used to.

But I have seen them slowly building up the quality of the TIOC cameras and this one is a good one.

It is clear they spent some time dialing in the firmware for this MP/sensor ratio.

Coupled with the better IR and a more focused narrow beam of light, it would be difficult to tell it is on what we would consider a less than ideal MP/sensor ratio.

With the 49425 I have the IR at 100 and it starts to struggle at 60 feet with a darker image.

This was when I tested this PTZ in complete black conditions with all the outside lights and other cameras IR off and just this camera IR set at 80 far/20 near at a distance of 60 feet:

NewPTZ no additional light.jpg

You can see how hot the IR is set at 80 far, 20 near and a shutter of 16ms. Once dialed in, it will benefit from more MP.

So this camera will allow you to run faster shutters and we know faster shutters equals better freeze frame captures.

I didn't spend any time dialing in at this setup as it isn't how I would run it, but it shows how capable it is in an area with no streetlights or other light sources.

For the homeowner, I think the advantage of this camera is the all white body compared to the 49225.

This one can probably blend in more with homes:

1724722026987.png

Than the half white/half black 49225 series:

1724722089455.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That is bright for that distance. Should be able to speed things up to tone that down a lot and still get a good moving image I'd think.

Reaction score
This camera is using Taurus firmware - so all image quality changes are mostly from migrating from old III gen ISP (StarLight+) processor, used in PTZ425DB/49425 to IV gen ISP processor, developed for Full Color cams...

It's a pity that Dahua didn't use the latest (Q1 2023) available technology here - AI-ISP (5th generation), which we can use in WizMind-S (5442-S3) and WizMind-X (7442-X) cameras. Looking today at the Dahua PTZ camera catalog and checking on what chipsets they are, you can see that PTZ cams are 1-2 generations behind static IP cameras.

When we compare original 5442 from 2019 (III gen ISP) with Full Color 5449/5849-180 (IV gen ISP) and newest 5442-S3 (V gen AI-ISP), which all are using the same image sensor - we see how big difference makes Image Signal Processor (ISP) technology.

Last edited: