Mobile LPR

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this might be a bit out of scope on this forum, but I figured I'd give it a shot for some feedback. Has anyone ever mounted some of the standard LPR cameras we use here to a car and done mobile LPR that way? I've been looking at the Rekor mobile LPR setups for some cars, but the lack of IR is a huge hit for my use. Some of the other systems start at 15k+. I already have access to 4g in the car to upload to the cloud. I was thinking two trunk mounted cameras pointed to each side, and a small computer in the car to run the openalpr agent? I have one of Andy's 7442's on a highspeed road and it captures 50mph plus easy at 30fps and can jump to 60fps.

cjowers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the application for? parking lots? street parking? always same route or anywhere? or are you just planning to park on side of the road and log some traffic plates?

Depending on what you want to achieve, you may find that you can certainly get images, but there will obviously be more variability on a mobile setup and image quality / plate recognition will struggle more than in a stationary/unchanging environment. For instance: vibration, motion blur, lighting changes, different focus distances (changing rapidly), different plate angles, maybe different plates type or reflectiveness, etc.

People have certainly worked this out for different applications (think google street view car), but for LPR it is typically designed / setup for the target environment (same light, same distance, same speed, same plates, etc), with a few tricks to cover additional variability. For instance, see this exposure bracketing with GigE cam and pulsed lighting by a user here

I don't have any experience with these mobile systems, but I suspect the scene variability would be the main challenge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Watch Parking Wars. The folks that boot cars with unpaid tickets drive around and use a cam setup outside the vehicle that scans parked cars and gives them real-time hits on those plates.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Watch Parking Wars. The folks that boot cars with unpaid tickets drive around and use a cam setup outside the vehicle that scans parked cars and gives them real-time hits on those plates.
Hey! It's the one other guy who has watched that show! ; )

They do have what seems to be an effective setup. Not cheap I'd guess but a quick break-even for them given the revenue generation.