Monitoring and alerting

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am aware of the service that monitors the bi service and can restart it. But is there something that can monitor the web endpoint? Seems my service is running, but I cannot actually connect to web ui. Would there be a way to get alerted or run a similar service restart when this becomes unavailable?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many of the camera I install use the cellular network to connect to the internet. Often times the cellular connection will quit and require a modem reset. That means a trip to the camera to reset. So to save a trip, I install a raspberry pi that pings a known good internet endpoint like 1.1.1.1. The controller pings it three times at one second intervals, every five minutes. If it fails, the controller power cycles the modem to reset the connection, saving me a trip to the camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you mean the BI server no longer can access the Internet and you'd like to reboot your ISP modem/router, consider this:

Router Rebooter, Wi-Fi Reset Device, Monitors Connectivity and Resets When Required. No App Necessary. If You Enter a Phone Number it Will Send Texts Upon resets.

@Sybertiger posted these:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I’ve been using these MSN remote power switches for about 2 years now.

I’ve configured them to give me the option of rebooting the PC and/or another device (router, switch, etc.)

They’ve also been useful for situations like rebooting a non-response server (e.g., memory leaks)

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, just more the windows services and making sure the web UI is always available. I suppose something like smokeping should technically be capable of checking uptime.