Most efficient storage config

mbezzlr

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm setting up a new build and have 5 4k cameras running at 15fps. I have 2 WD PRPL 8TB hard drives (let's call them D: and E:). How should I configure my storage?
New - D:
Storage - E:
or
Cam1-3 records to D: and cam 4-5 record to E: (I could even add a 2TB drive for 1 camera to so it evens out to 2TB/camera)?
or
Should I make one logical drive out of my 2 drives, and just assign all NEW to the single volume?
What option will offer the best performance?
Thanks,
mbezzlr

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If we assume 3 options:

1) Storage pool
2) Cams split between drives
3) New -> overflow to Stored

Then #1 is the most efficient, as you could allow one drive to spin down for days, maybe even weeks at a time.

With #2, both drives are going to be active the same amount of time, more or less. I prefer option 2 because if I lose a drive (which sucks in any of these cases) then at least I haven't lost everything from that entire time period.

I wouldn't do #3 unless the New folder happened to be on a RAID 1 (mirror) or something. There could be some benefit to having your newest video protected from a drive failure without having to go to the same expense for the older video.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a similar config and I just split the recordings between the 2 drives. Does take a bit of management initially as I was finding that 1 drive was filling up quicker so had to move cameras around again to balance the drive usage up.