Motion Blur.....how to fix?

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I Had a Old computer running Bi5 that had a 2nd gen i7 and 24 gigs of ram. I upgraded the computer to a 9th gen i7 and 16 gigs or ram. I did a clean install of Bi5 on the new computer and then imported the backed up registry settings from the BI5 from the old computer. Everything seemed to work perfect. On average the new computer is only using 2% CPU and 33% of memory.

Long story short I have a total of 3 cams. The 2 Warrior cams are working fine. The Amcrest seems to work fine during the day. However at night I get "motion blur" when someone is walking into the room. This never happened when I had the old computer. I didn't touch any settings in BI or the cam. I read you can adjust "shutter speed" to get more light into the frame to fix motion blur. Does anyone know where this is in BI5 and what setting I should put it at? ...or is there another way to fix motion blur? This seems to happen only on the Amecrest camera and only at night. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is not a BI issue and would have been present in your other setup...

BI only accepts what is given to it by the camera. BI does not control shutter of FPS or other image quality issues.

There is no setting in BI to eliminate motion blur as that is done within the camera GUI.

Adjusting the shutter speed to let in more light increases motion blur. Faster shutter equals less blur but also means more light is needed.

Which camera is the problem camera - in one sentence you say it is the Logitech and another sentence you say it is the Amcrest?

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
This is not a BI issue and would have been present in your other setup...

BI only accepts what is given to it by the camera. BI does not control shutter of FPS or other image quality issues.

There is no setting in BI to eliminate motion blur as that is done within the camera GUI.

Adjusting the shutter speed to let in more light increases motion blur. Faster shutter equals less blur but also means more light is needed.

Which camera is the problem camera - in one sentence you say it is the Logitech and another sentence you say it is the Amcrest?
Thanks for catching that Wittaj. I corrected it....I meant AMCREST camera. I don't even own a logitech cam. I've noticed this actually happens during the day some too...maybe not as bad. I watch the Amcrest cam all the time for years and have never seen motion blur. I didn't even know what "motion blur" was until I actually saw it on my cam and did some research. So I'm 99% sure it was never a problem till I switched my server. I am thinking I'll try to adjust the shutter speed some in the actual cam and go from there. If it fixes it or a hard reset fixes it I'll post here. If any other idea to fix please let me know. Thanks!

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If supported put an SD card in the Camera, quickly identifies if it is a camera setting or not.
Export the footage, and play-back on the old PC. Also do the reverse, playback old footage on the new PC. This helps determines if it is a recording or playback issue.

• If you use H\W decoding, this can be problematic on some CPUs (works fine for me, but have seen issues in the past),
  • Check your AV settings, that you have the correct exclusions
  • Check the performance of your storage devices "Crystal Disk Mark"
  • Playback locally, not via web

A still may help the group, identify if it is a bit rate issue or shutter speed issue.

While camera settings may not have changed, Network settings on your new hardware may be causing issues. (Varies from H\W to H\W, but windows still has issues with TCP offloading on a lot of hardware, MTU sizing, all sorts of factors.
Your scenes may now be busier, if bitrate isn't high-enough can appear as motion blur.

Shutter speed, your lighting conditions may have changed for factors out-side your control, lens dirty... so many factors.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
perhaps hardware acceleration on that cam is either enabled or disabled in previous install, and needs to be changed in this iteration of hardware?

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the info. The problem seems to be fixed. I reset the Amcrest to factory condition. I also noticed the server was "lagging" on the Amcrest cam showing the orange clock which from what I understand means it's lagging. I never saw this before. Basically I restarted the server and it seems to have fixed the lagging....which in turn fixed the motion blur I think!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am also facing this problem.
More info needed.

This is usually a camera issue.

Are you running default/auto settings?

What camera models?

Are you experiencing blur or jaggy/choppy video - there is a difference?