Mount Hik Turret in Dense Cedar Tree

old

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to buy/mount a hik turret in a cedar tree like this:https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0763/9173/products/juniperus-virginiana-taylor-eastern-red-cedar-1000433834-1409611784_1024x1024.jpg?v=1490037172
Anyone know where I buy / make a bracket so the lens sticks out of the foliage? Or is this not a thing?

I want to mount it about half way up the tree, aimed outside my fence onto the sidewalk. I'm having trouble with someone dumping literally tons of construction debris on the sidewalk. It seems to be someone very familiar with my camera system, who knows exactly where they can dump and not be recorded doing it, so my other option is to buy / mount a hidden camera in the fence itself, aimed at the sidewalk, so the camera guts are on the inside of the fence aimed through a hole toward the sidewalk. Like maybe one of those hikvision covert pinhole type cameras with the guts in an outdoor enclosure. Anyone with some suggestions?
EDIT: the fence is parallel to the sidewalk, if that matters

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess you might try to adapt part of one of the pipe mounts but probably won't work. At least not hidden. You won't be able to get the lens far enough out of the foliage to avoid the IR glare and wind moving branches in front of it. I have those same trees near my house had to battle with them to position my cams off of them not even considering mounted on. Though you might not notice it normally without a cam involved they're constantly moving with any little wind and act like big flares with IR which washes out the image and sets off detection. I'd look for another way.

If they're deterred by the others, then why not just mount an obvious camera that can be seen for that location ?

old

n3wb
Reaction score
There isn't a good place to mount a camera. I thought maybe I'd try to mount it in the tree and see if the image is blurry from movement in gentle breezes. The bracket would need to be 16" to clear the foliage. The trunk is almost 6" in diameter. If the image is blurry, I'll have to erect a pole, but the neighborhood is bad and someone would tie the pole to their truck and drive off with the camera, or otherwise figure out how to dig up the pole / steal the camera. The tree is pretty rooted in the ground of course. I'm just looking for the easiest solution. What about something like this: Amazon.com : 7 x 1 inch Gooseneck Bracket for Dome Camera in Cream White Color with Extension Nuts : Camera & Photo and a couple of these: Amazon.com : Alibi Flange Adapter for ALI-IPV Series IP Dome Security Cameras : Camera & Photo, and a pipe extension adapter, and another length of pipe from the plumbing supply store? Oh, and something like this: Amazon.com : Camera Mounting Bracket - SUNLUXY Universal Column Pole Mount Bracket 8 inches for Outdoor Security CCTV PTZ Dome : Camera & Photo to attach to the tree. Oh sorry, the camera is a Hik DS-2CD2132-I Dome, 6mm

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There isn't a good place to mount a camera. I thought maybe I'd try to mount it in the tree and see if the image is blurry from movement in gentle breezes. The bracket would need to be 16" to clear the foliage. The trunk is almost 6" in diameter. If the image is blurry, I'll have to erect a pole, but the neighborhood is bad and someone would tie the pole to their truck and drive off with the camera, or otherwise figure out how to dig up the pole / steal the camera. The tree is pretty rooted in the ground of course. I'm just looking for the easiest solution. What about something like this: Amazon.com : 7 x 1 inch Gooseneck Bracket for Dome Camera in Cream White Color with Extension Nuts : Camera & Photo and a couple of these: Amazon.com : Alibi Flange Adapter for ALI-IPV Series IP Dome Security Cameras : Camera & Photo, and a pipe extension adapter, and another length of pipe from the plumbing supply store? Oh, and something like this: Amazon.com : Camera Mounting Bracket - SUNLUXY Universal Column Pole Mount Bracket 8 inches for Outdoor Security CCTV PTZ Dome : Camera & Photo to attach to the tree. Oh sorry, the camera is a Hik DS-2CD2132-I Dome, 6mm
I didn't mean the tree/mount moving so much. Though that also would be an issue. I meant foliage moving in front of the lens and glare from the IR with it all around it unless you get the camera well out in front. Which would mean that the mount would need to be relatively long and the camera wouldn't be very well hidden. I'm sure that you could rig something up in some way using mounts similar to those you posted. Just a matter of how reasonable it is to do it and how well it works. If it were more of a bare-trunked/branched tree, then it would be a lot easier but those leyland cypress/arborvitae/juniper/etc.-type trees aren't made like that. As I said I have corner plantings and other trees that are near where some of my cameras are mounted and even with +2' of spacing away they still tend to get in the way at times when blowing around. I think that it probably would be very tough to get 1' or 2' clear mounting a cam within. I do get why you'd want to do it better now though.

old

n3wb
Reaction score
If it were more of a bare-trunked/branched tree, then it would be a lot easier but those leyland cypress/arborvitae/juniper/etc.-type trees aren't made like that. As I said I have corner plantings and other trees that are near where some of my cameras are mounted and even with +2' of spacing away they still tend to get in the way at times when blowing around. I think that it probably would be very tough to get 1' or 2' clear mounting a cam within.
These are Italian Cypress. The tops get blown about, but the mid is not anywhere as bad as those Arborvitae that blow all over. The branches are really short, maybe 14", 15" long max, and horizontal at that height, not like arborvitae that flail all over - so maybe I'll be okay

Last edited:

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

old

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

old

n3wb
Reaction score