Mounting a camera outside of a window?

funhouse69

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the site and looking for a little advice. I am looking for some suggestions on placing a camera on the front of my house so I can monitor my Front Yard as well as the street.

Couple of things to consider...

I am looking to place the camera either inside of my attic window or outside of the window. Since the front of my house is on a very busy secondary road I would like it to be as concealed as possible.

Of course I would also like to minimize the # of holes I have to drill as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on mounting a camera outside of a window. I have a street light located in front of the house so night vision is probably not needed. The window is very high up and any work would have to be done from the window as access otherwise would be very difficult.

I am currently using Hikvision Cameras in other locations but I an not opposed to using another brand if they have something better / more suitable.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track with the Hikvision cameras. Getting either a turret or bullet cam from them should work as both are rated for outdoors use. Both will also allow for the IR to be turned off in the event you choose to install inside of a window as the IR would just reflect if on and pointed at a window. I think I would take the route of installing on the outside if at all possible myself for a better, more clear picture.

funhouse69

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm curious do people typically paint their camera housings? I assume if you do you are voiding the warranty?