Mounting above a light

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I found that test I did with the 5442 NI cs the standard 5442 ASE

post#19

Sorry the videos all got whacked when I got pissed off at YouTube censor bullshit

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
West camera was a Color 4K-X and East camera was a 5442 NI. No IR, the B&W image was simply set to B&W.
The NI model is much more light sensitive than the standard 5442 ASE, but you lose onboard IR.
They look more bullets style, but could just be my eyes

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes they are bullets.
Ah yes, this is where I go confused. I searched 5442NI and saw the dome version, but now I see it is both dome and bullet.

Is the benefit to the bullet the fact that you get longer ranges? Or is there more to it?

I came to accept this as my "standard", IPC-T5442T-ZE, be it the right or wrong decision, my standard use is to monitor and record around the house. One place I will deviate is with a lesser model for the garage. Clearly there are lots more options, be it the booby cam or bullets, so I like to hear when and why someone chose a certain style as maybe I will see it as a good reason to deviate from a single standard, like in my garage.

Like perhaps in my backyard, a bullet with longer range makes sense to cover the length of the back of the house. Who knows, we will see. Or maybe the 5442 covers the top of my drive and then a bullet goes at the other corner of the garage to cover the length of the driveway to the street.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Many prefer turrets like the one you show mostly due to appearance. Years ago there was a perceived benefit to turrets because of the way the IR LEDs were positioned on the bullets which attracted more bugs. Today there is no difference.
In some cases bullets have 4 LEDs vs two for turrets which can be helpful.

I think bullets give a better depth of field but that’s a subjective observation. The turret you show is fine. Standard zoom on both variable focus forms is 2.7-12mm so no difference in zoom. Once you want to go beyond that however, you have to go to a bullet form factor.

Generally speaking, given the same series camera and sensor:

• Fixed lens versions are more light sensitive than their variable focus model brothers.
  • There are locations such as under eaves where the extended length of a bullet is helpful to get the lens away from obstructions that can create IR reflection
  • For longer distances such as typically seen for LPR, you have to go to a bullet for the extra zoom offered
  • The 5442 series and newer 5449/5849 are the current gold standard so you’re on the right path.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many prefer turrets like the one you show mostly due to appearance. Years ago there was a perceived benefit to turrets because of the way the IR LEDs were positioned on the bullets which attracted more bugs. Today there is no difference.
In some cases bullets have 4 LEDs vs two for turrets which can be helpful.

I think bullets give a better depth of field but that’s a subjective observation. The turret you show is fine. Standard zoom on both variable focus forms is 2.7-12mm so no difference in zoom. Once you want to go beyond that however, you have to go to a bullet form factor.

Generally speaking, given the same series camera and sensor:

• Fixed lens versions are more light sensitive than their variable focus model brothers.
  • There are locations such as under eaves where the extended length of a bullet is helpful to get the lens away from obstructions that can create IR reflection
  • For longer distances such as typically seen for LPR, you have to go to a bullet for the extra zoom offered
  • The 5442 series and newer 5449/5849 are the current gold standard so you’re on the right path.
Glad to hear I’m doing it right.

I agree with what seems like better depth of field. Looking down your street things are quite clear, it’s pretty amazing.