Mounting Bullet cameras to metal soffits

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought my first ever bullet camera and its a beast. Im replacing some turret cameras I have, that are mounted to the soffits. Im not sure the soffit can really support the weight of this new bullet camera.
What recommendations do you have on how to handle bullet cam mounting to soffits?
Currently I have a small 3"x3"x1" wood block inside the soffit, that the screws for the camera go into. Im thinking maybe I could make an L bracket, attach it to the soffit ledger and then screw the camera into the L bracket.
Any other thoughts?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the soffit isn't very wide from house to gutter, many of us have used some aluminum stock to hang a camera from and then shimmy it into where the soffit comes together with the house and the gutter.

Or you come down just a bit and attach to the house where the soffit and vertical wall meet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on how the soffit is installed you may be able to use aluminum flat stock to span it, house to facia flange. I use that for both bullets and turrets. I use 1/8x2" aluminum flat stock and add "wings", cut to fit, to handle the excess width of the camera base.

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depending on how the soffit is installed you may be able to use aluminum flat stock to span it, house to facia flange. I use that for both bullets and turrets. I use 1/8x2" aluminum flat stock and add "wings", cut to fit, to handle the excess width of the camera base.
Oh, this is a good idea actually. I could remove the current soffit piece which is about 2 feet wide, and replace it with a stronger aluminum piece. Happen to have a photo?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some pics from another thread. You can leave the current soffit in place:

CAL7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How bad an idea is it to mount the camera to the aluminum soffit without any additional backing (e.g. aluminum stock)? Since it is NEVER mentioned as an option, I expect it must be pretty bad. Are there any success or horror stories?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People have done just that with vinyl soffit and they haven't moved in years so one would think aluminum would be better...

But I would probably add some aluminum stock just to beef it up.