Mounting IR illuminators to house lights

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of an elegant way to hang a pair of IR illuminators off of a typical house light like this one? Hopefully something better than the standard 2 rings connected to a platform type item like the one below. Or for that matter, has anyone ever hung an IR illuminator or a pair of them off of a house light at all? Curious. thanks

note: IR illuminator(s) in question would be something like the Univivi U06R or a pair of CMVision IR56's, or similar illuminators.

lamp.png

bracket.JPG

univivi.JPG

front.JPG

cmvisaion.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would be easier to change the fixture I suspect.. especially if you want it to look decent.

but no, I cant think of any reason to do what your wanting.. or anyone whom may have, so I have to ask.. why? do you have a 120v IR light your wanting to tap power into?

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
would be easier to change the fixture I suspect.. especially if you want it to look decent.

but no, I cant think of any reason to do what your wanting.. or anyone whom may have, so I have to ask.. why? do you have a 120v IR light your wanting to tap power into?
Indeed, it would be easier to change the fixture somehow. But no 120v, in fact, I need to run a wire up the side of the house from the electrical outlet below it (I'd protect the wire so it's not exposed too much). So it's a straight shot from the outlet to the house light. (outlet has the standard up to code plastic weather protector over it)

The only reason is due to OCD. I don't want to remove the nice light, I just want to add on to it somehow without disturbing it in any way. No additional holes in the lamp or house, or the plastic house box that the lamp attaches too. I want it to be able to be removed without a trace if that makes sense. I'd use protection of some kind between the bracket and the light as to not scratch the light either.

.....I know...crazy and seemingly stupid. huh?

To give an example of what I am trying to improve upon, presently using a speaker stand with the illuminator mounted to the speaker stand and the power pack hidden in a hollowed out 'dumb rock' hanging on a plastic ground stake that resides inside the dumb rock. Hoping to be able to ditch both the speaker stand and the hollowed out rock for something cleaner and more asthetically pleasing. I just want to avoid having holes in the house or house light. And I don't want to have the current lightning rod / speaker stand, etc.

In the past I've almost considered just using vinyl siding hooks and attaching to the house that way, but I also think maybe I can attach to the light as well to keep some separation between the illuminator and the house. Reason for that is because some of these cheap illuminators rust and I'd rather have the rust drip onto the ground instead of down the side of the house.

Also, has anyone ever used these vinyl siding hooks? Curious if they wreck the siding if the item your hanging is too heavy. Or scratch up the siding in any way. They come in many different varieties and they let you hang stuff on your house without making nail holes in your siding. I'm guessing most people here probably just make the holes but I still wonder if anyone has used these types of hooks for surveillance gear or not. I'm guessing most people just buy the plastic boxes and mount them to the house, similar to how you would add an additional light to a house.

sidinghooks.JPG

welcome.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you renting? or is this your first house?

When I moved into my house, after a few days I was setting up my tool box in the garage.. when I tried to open it the lid hit a shelf on the wall, all bummed out I went inside and asked my old lady if I could remove the shelf so I could put my tool box there.. she looked at me sideways and said: I dont care what you do, its your house..

then something clicked, and now I'll drill up anything just to hide some wires.. fuckit its mine, and I feel obligated to modify it.. even if it dont need it, so yeah I think your a bit off your rocker.. but what can I say, I void warranties.. bought my first brand new car (VW Golf TDI) for $30k, and the next day voided the warranty on it when I tuned it, and then if that was not enough to revoke my warranty I turned it into a tow vehicle.. the warranty would have expired by now if i left it alone, but I exchanged it for a ton of miles with a smile on my face.

You only live once, so go get the hammer out and enjoy it.