move recordings cleanly?

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wasn't paying attention and my hard drive is down to 500 MB and Windows 10 is sluggish and kind of unstable. I added a big secondary hard drive (E: ), changed the location of Stored/Storage and Alerts folders to this drive and and dramatically decreased the size limit (and disabled clip age) of New in Blue Iris settings in hopes that BI will move the bulk of the videos to the new drive but nothing happens. The primary hard drive (C: ) is still showing 500 MB and decreasing which looks like nothing moved and in addition Windows 10 has become even more usable.

How do I move storage/store recordings to the new drive and keep the history of the recordings in the database intact (for playing back videos recorded before this move)?

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
You will need to move the old clips manually to the new location. Leave the database on drive C and once you move the old clips....repair/regenerate the database in BI.

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
how do I manually repair/regenerate the database?

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right click on clips and then select "Database" then repair/regenerate
Thanks! I tried that, but looks like BI lost all records for Storage and Alerts anyway due to my failed attempts to move them before asking for help here. Does repair/generate look in the currently set folders/locations (Storage, Alerts, etc.) for video and images and update the database accordingly or does it simply check records in the database and delete them if they're not present in the folder/location anymore?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
It will look where you have specified under "clips and archiving" Can you see the clips in the folder with explorer ?

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It will look where you have specified under "clips and archiving" Can you see the clips in the folder with explorer ?
Yes, the clips are in the new location on the second hard drive (now SMB share... had problems with iSCSI drive), but BI doesn't list them in the Clips side panel. It doesn't matter for now, there's nothing crucial in any clips so far. I'll wait until the threshold is met in New and see if the new clips properly move to the Stored location.

Thanks for your help!

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
No problem, you may be having a permission issue on the share...I copied this from the help section:

Clips and Archiving Options

The Clip Options window allows you to specify the physical location on your hard drive where clips will be created and stored. You must specify the first three, with default names New, Stored and Alerts. You may specify up to 10 in total. These folders must not be overlapping or "inside" one another. You must retain a name for each folder, but if you will not be using it, you can blank out the path setting.

The Alerts folder is special in that it will contain JPEGs as configured by the option on the Record tab in camera properties and is not used for video recording. The Alerts folder must remain 3rd on the list.

These folders do not need to be located on the same hard drive or PC as the database. Note however, that if you are running Blue Iris as a service, you may not be able to use the "LocalSystem" account if your Stored clips folder is located on a network drive; instead, you must use a named user account, and give that account rights to the network resource.