Moving away from ubiquiti routing?

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All my network gear is ubiquiti, UDM Pro, multiple APs, 10GIG switch, 1GIG switches, POE Switches etc

I was looking at switching to opensense, pf sense installed on a small box but then how do you manage the other ubiquiti gear you would need a cloudkey or install there software.

I was wondering if anyone here has done the same and your thoughts on it.

cm.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you remove the udm pro you still need something to manage all the devices - so cloud key gen 2 will be fine for that purpose.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I switched away from the USG. Stood up a VM to manage Unifi. Works fine, you won't all of the fancy graphics detail of what each client is doing, but I get that info from my firewall which also does all the routing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I run Unifi controller in virtual machines because the cloud key devices are ridiculously priced for what they do. Not a huge fan of Ubiquiti's router software either. pfsense/opnsense are much more flexible. I'd probably go with opnsense if I was to start over today, but for the foreseeable future I'm on pfsense.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a cloudkey to manage my wifi access points. Pretty easy to set up rules in pfSense to manage everything.