Moving from Blue Iris to hardware DVR

Reaction score
Hello
I've used Blue Iris for many years (almost 10), and have kept a computer to run DVR the entire time - i7 processor, 32GB RAM, multiple drives in it.

I'm getting ready to sell my house, and want to take the DVR with me, as i have years of footage and memories i want to keep on that machine.

As a replacement, i'd like to buy a hardware/standalone DVR.

The cameras I have are all HIKVISION and FOSCAM IP cameras.

I'm very familiar within Blue Iris of the process to connect the software to the IP cameras (get the new camera, plug it in, use the IP finder tool to log into it, change username/pass, change IP, then point Blue Iris at it), but how does that work with a standalone DVR? will i just need to know the IP of each camera, and the username/password, and then as long as the DVR is plugged into the same switch as the cameras, it will see them?

Just looking for basic functionality, but not sure if that's all I need to connect to these hikvision/foscam POE IP cameras

Any suggestions, i'm all ears

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best to match brands of cameras to NVR.

If you buy an NVR with POE ports and the brands match, it is usually simply plug in to the NVR and let the NVR find it.

Cameras of a different brand may need to be manually input.

And then of course all the tweaks for settings and motion and camera parameters.

Or just keep using your BI computer as your NVR!!!!!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, you are looking to give them an NVR. I read it as you were taking it all with you, but wanted to add an NVR to the mix LOL.

Yeah, in that case, just drop in an NVR and get the cameras going and let them set it up the rest of the way.

Or deduct the NVR price off the house so they buy an NVR and you are not their tech services LOL.

Reaction score
I like the way you think, but the camera system is a big selling point - monitor in the office and in the master bedroom, etc - so i've got no problem putting a $100 DVR in

Any suggestions on cheap, basic NVRs that work with all HIKVISION cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could try a cheap Amcrest and see if you can manually input them in. Amcrest is a Dahua OEM and many have been able to manually enter HIK cams into a Dahua NVR, so I would try that unless someone else chimes in with a Hikvision OEM NRV that is comparable price to a cheap Amcrest NVR.

Reaction score
i appreciate it. i want to confirm it will work with someone here before i start buying NVRs though lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As suggested by @wittaj , consider the Amcrest. According to the Amcrest site, the NV4108E "...Supports Amcrest IP Cameras and provides limited support for third party brand ONVIF compliant IP Cameras".

Also, on amazon the same product has a image you can zoom in on the back of the box where it states essentially the same re: ONVIF and names Foscam and Hikvision. In other words, buy it from amazon and if no joy, send it back!

BTW, if you find any suitable $100 units, please let me know.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.