Moving Video Files to New NAS

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Guys & Gals,

I currently have a crazy setup. I have 2 x 10TB hard drives (not including my C:\ for OS, BlueIris Database which is a SSD) in my video computer and an older Synology Nas w/ 4 x 10TB Pool which which equals about 27TB in size.

I have bought a 12 Drive Synology drive which currently has 6 x 10TB Hard Drives in it. I am copying the Old NAS ( 4 x 10TB) "\\videonas\Video" to the new Nas (6 x 10TB) "\\newvideonas\VideoNas\OLDVIDEONAS" through the copy command on the NAS's UI. After this copy is done and complete, I would like to turn off the OLD NAS and tell Blue Iris that the files that were on the OLD NAS are now located on the New Nas.

How do I do this?

Thanks

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Read the BI help file.
I Read pages 86 to 100 before posting this question. I did not find anything there about manually moving stored video files to a different location. Only about using the move function in the "FOLDERS" which I am not using. I might have missed or misunderstood something in the help file though. Your help would be appreciated.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You go into Blue Iris Settings, Clips and Archive Tab -> The folders names will be on the left (new, stored, etc) and when you click on one of them, it will show you the path to where the files are being store. It is going to depen on how your running Blue Iris and you your sharing the folders on your NAS, but that is where you change the path to point to the new NAS. Then rebuild the database

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had multiple folders setup. When the first hard drive would fill up, it would move it to the second, when that filled up, it would move it to the original NAS...

Once I move everything from hard drive two and the old nas. Can I remove the FOLDERS or will i have to keep them there?

Also, would Blue Iris rescan the file names and add them into the the database? For example, If I delete all the folders... Add a new older called, OLD and point it to the OLD Files transfered from the NAS then rebuild database, will Blue Iris recognize the file name structure and add it into Blue Iris?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If your going to completely eliminate the two hard drive attached to your computer and change the settings, yes, you will no longer need those folders. If you have room on your OS drive, I would think about pointing the 'new' folder to a folder on that drive and then when that folder fills up, have it move everything to the NAS where it will get deleted. On the preset folders in Blue Iris you don't want to use, just click on the folder name and on the right, delete the path

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If your going to completely eliminate the two hard drive attached to your computer and change the settings, yes, you will no longer need those folders. If you have room on your OS drive, I would think about pointing the 'new' folder to a folder on that drive and then when that folder fills up, have it move everything to the NAS where it will get deleted. On the preset folders in Blue Iris you don't want to use, just click on the folder name and on the right, delete the path
I would like to keep one of the 10TB drives in my system to record to it. Once that drive is filled, to move files to the new NAS...

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would like to keep one of the 10TB drives in my system to record to it. Once that drive is filled, to move files to the new NAS...
I agree. Point your 'new' folder in Blue Iris to a folder on that drive and then point the 'stored' folder to a shared folder on your NAS

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to be clear, copy all the files over from the different folders to a new location. Remove the Folders from Blue Iris for the files that have been relocated to the new NAS, Add the NAS Folder and location. Hit Rebuild Database, and Blue Iris will find all of my OLD Recordings and readd with their new locations?