Multi-exposure image

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anybody recognize what's going on with this image? I can see 6 distinct exposures. The frame rate and I-frame interval are both 10, compression is h.264, and exposure is 1/250. I estimate the car was going about 15 mph, which is 22 feet/second, or 2.2 feet per frame. The gap between exposures is close enough to 2 feet to think the multiple exposures are synchronized to the frame rate.carMultiExposure.jpg

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Noise Reduction is set too high; I dont run mine higher than 33%

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Noise Reduction is set too high; I dont run mine higher than 33%

I have my noise reduction at 25... would if be any benefits of just turning it off ? I keep my gain around 40

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it does help quite a bit at night; but too much and it causes blur.. best to play with it and see, but almost never can you run it much higher than 50% without seeing blurs just like that.. in most cases having it just enabled but turned down gives the best results.

same thing goes with WDR; usually you just need a little WDR.. too much and it'll also ruin the image.. in both cases less is often more.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting I pretty much understand noise reduction,and gain now. Haven't really messed with WDR too much right now I have it off. Is WDR used to improve night image ? Maybe tonight I'll mess around with WDR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WDR is really only helpful in the daytime; its used in scenes with dramatic light variations.. like if the scene is half in the shade and half in direct light; resulting in either too dark areas or overexposed bright areas; or some combination of both..

basically what it does is take multiple exposures at the same time and merges the results.. set it to high and it'll wash out the image and screw with colors/details.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WDR is really only helpful in the daytime; its used in scenes with dramatic light variations.. like if the scene is half in the shade and half in direct light; resulting in either too dark areas or overexposed bright areas; or some combination of both..

basically what it does is take multiple exposures at the same time and merges the results.. set it to high and it'll wash out the image and screw with colors/details.

Ah got it.. thanks

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Nayr, you nailed it. I shut off noise reduction and the multiple images are gone. Now I have to experiment to see how high I can crank it without causing adding undesirable side effects. This is too bad, because as you said, the noise reduction helps a lot at night. So much to learn about these cameras. Why oh why won't they let us have different day/night settings in auto switchover mode?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr, you nailed it. I shut off noise reduction and the multiple images are gone. Now I have to experiment to see how high I can crank it without causing adding undesirable side effects. This is too bad, because as you said, the noise reduction helps a lot at night. So much to learn about these cameras. Why oh why won't they let us have different day/night settings in auto switchover mode?

Are you talking about a day/night profile with different settings? Should let you I know my hikvision have this feature.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the key is with auto-switch over; usually thats only w/timed profiles (or external triggers)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you talking about a day/night profile with different settings? Should let you I know my hikvision have this feature.
Am I possibly being confused by the camera's UI? To enable the separate profiles I have to select "Scheduled Switch" for "Scheduled Image Settings". If I select "Auto Switch", the multiple profiles go away. So can I select "Scheduled Switch" on the top, then "Auto" for "Day/Night Switch", and have it switch automatically even though it's in "Scheduled Switch" mode? If it possible the top field would be better labeled something like "Day/Night Profiles". with the choces being "Common" or "Separate"?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Am I possibly being confused by the camera's UI? To enable the separate profiles I have to select "Scheduled Switch" for "Scheduled Image Settings". If I select "Auto Switch", the multiple profiles go away. So can I select "Scheduled Switch" on the top, then "Auto" for "Day/Night Switch", and have it switch automatically even though it's in "Scheduled Switch" mode? If it possible the top field would be better labeled something like "Day/Night Profiles". with the choces being "Common" or "Separate"?

You can set a time your settings for day/night at least that's what I do

Edit you want scheduled at least if you want to go by time

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My LTS/Hikvision cameras will not allow separate day/night profiles in conjunction with auto switchover. Took me a day to verify this. IMO this is totally stupid, but it is what it is and I'll have to live with a single setting. I'm not willing to go through the hassle of updating the switchover times as the months change.