Multiple zones

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys - so far I've got most of my camera configurations with 2 zones like B-C or C-D but trying to evaluate if I should experiment with 3 zones in a single rule. For e.g. BC-D which to be means an object should cross both zones B & C and get to D to trigger. However, will this help in my situation and stop rain drop false alerts? My guess is not because rain drops move pretty quick and if I have zones from top to bottom to catch somebody jumping over the fence, that's the same direction a rain drop takes too

Thxnorth yard.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd venture you need to increase the object size, and possibly time, if you're detecting raindrops.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have played around with object sizes unsuccessfully before. I tried to reduce alerts to animals but given object size cannot be defined by exact distance it led to the cameras missing out on seeing my children

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have played with it a lot, and even used 3 zones and even tried ab-c and a-bc. It seemed like a<bc worked best,
but it still picked up all of the rain/snow/sleet. I ended up using 2 cameras, larger size, and longer time.
Now I have a profile that turns notifications off when the rain gets too heavy and blowing across all zones.
2 PIR motion detectors do backup for times like this.

Wonder if it would work to wire a PIR into a camera digital input? Might have to try it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Whats the camera and does it have IVS? If so, you can use IVS trip lines to trigger alerts.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys - so far I've got most of my camera configurations with 2 zones like B-C or C-D but trying to evaluate if I should experiment with 3 zones in a single rule. For e.g. BC-D which to be means an object should cross both zones B & C and get to D to trigger. However, will this help in my situation and stop rain drop false alerts? My guess is not because rain drops move pretty quick and if I have zones from top to bottom to catch somebody jumping over the fence, that's the same direction a rain drop takes too

ThxView attachment 67984
If you are talking about night time, then a separate IR illumination mounted away from the camera will solve this.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can you help me understand why a separate IR device will help

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The Ir being directly "behind" the lens highlights the raindrops since they, and fog/mist/snow, all appear as opaque due to their reflectivity. Moving the IR off to the side, above or below, will substantially eliminate that reflectivity.

Simple explanation: For the same reason you don't use high beams when driving in fog and snow.

Last edited: