Murphy's Law in Action

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In a never-ending quest for optimization and system improvement, I recently decided to make changes to my file storage system. This involved moving more than 6TB of files across the LAN and even with a fast network it takes significant time. It also resulted in some temporary corruption of the Blue Iris files leading to BI not recording any footage for about 12 hours. And this is when Murphy stepped in.

In an earlier post I mentioned my "Alley Cam" (now have several covering different views). For more than 2 years I had a small Hik bullet camera which captured all manner of shenanigans in that alley. Recently upgraded to a much larger Loryta 5442 bullet. Last night the camera suffered the first physical assault in almost 3 years of operation. With Murphy deciding to play his tricks, I didn't get any Blue Iris footage of the cretin's activities. However, the camera was equipped with an internal SD card, as was another camera with a view to the activities as well. Both videos are included. The camera suffered no damage and only required a simple adjustment back to its original position.

Under normal circumstances, I would have been alerted to the asshole's presence before the incident and while I likely would not have prevented him slapping the camera, I would definitely have been on top of him before he exited the alley. Really wish BI had been operational at the time .... [still seething] .... lol

View attachment 19.32.52-19.33.35[M][0@0][33660].mp4

View attachment 19.33.00-19.33.28[M][0@0][44515].mp4

So a few things to be learned....

The importance of an internal SD card as a backup in the event BI or NVR is inoperative.

Big bullet cameras are more annoying to tweakers than little ones. :)

Cameras located in position to capture decent facial images, are probably accessible to idiots who might abuse the camera. In those locations a dome or turret camera might offer a smaller target.

As he approached the camera the image got quite washed out from the IR. Any suggestions for setting adjustments are most welcome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the internal cards are a nice backup!

Wow surprised he was able to move it - maybe it wasn't locked down enough? They are a pain to make minute adjustments.

Is smart IR on in that camera and what are your settings? I assume not the default/auto settings?

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, the internal cards are a nice backup!

Wow surprised he was able to move it - maybe it wasn't locked down enough? They are a pain to make minute adjustments.

Is smart IR on in that camera and what are your settings? I assume not the default/auto settings?
No, definitely NOT default. You taught me well on that ... lol

Yes, Smart IR is "On".

The IR setup gets a little tricky. I have 2 cameras which can 'see' each other in the corner of their FOV and both have their IR Illuminators set to Max on both Near and Far. Separately there is an IR Illuminator (mid-size 8w) mounted between them serving as an IR 'flood.' Going from the Hik to the 5442, I needed to make a number of adjustments to allow for all the IR in that area. I also tried turning down the on-cam illuminators at various times. As far as the image goes, I am pretty sure I will recognize the asshole if I see him, so in that regard, I guess it's OK - but always looking to improve if possible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With all that IR out there, maybe try manual IR and turn the near IR down really low like 10 and then go test it walking that close to it and see if that prevents the washout.