My camera is fried!

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea what could have gone wrong here? It’s a refurb from LaView / Hikvision.
I used it to test a couple times, but I think it’s the first time I left it powered overnight.
It seemed very warm. Thanks

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By "fried' do you mean no more image?

There's a big, dark shadow over the lens but looks like there's severe condensation inside to me.
FWIW, unless it's been outdoors in the elements for a time it looks pretty "used' for a refurb.

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By "fried' do you mean no more image?

There's a big, dark shadow over the lens but looks like there's severe condensation inside to me.
FWIW, unless it's been outdoors in the elements for a time it looks pretty "used' for a refurb.

My bad, I thought the lens was “burned” or something, but I just looked at it this afternoon and it looks fine. I guess that was condensation. I just got the camera back in June as part of a refurbed kit. I’ve only used it a handful of times for testing. Still haven’t gotten around to permanently mounting it. Do you think there’s a problem with the seal?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My bad, I thought the lens was “burned” or something, but I just looked at it this afternoon and it looks fine. I guess that was condensation. I just got the camera back in June as part of a refurbed kit. I’ve only used it a handful of times for testing. Still haven’t gotten around to permanently mounting it. Do you think there’s a problem with the seal?
It will likely stay clear as long as the cam is powered. If it returns or worsens, could be a bad seal.

If you decide to open it up to clear it, take cam indoors, let sit at room temp for a couple of hours in the driest room of the house or garage (no kitchen or bathroom).
Open it up, find bag(s) of desiccant, either replace them or put them in cup of uncooked instant rice overnight.
Next morning, re-assemble, insure O-rings in place and tight; if sloppy, caulk seams with outdoor-rated silicone caulk, assemble, re-caulk seams outside again after assembly.
Pay special attention to where pigtail enters/exits mount and/or cam; don't be stingy with caulk up in there...when cam cools off it can suck in moist air if that seal around pigtail is leaky.