My first capture post! Petty and Political...

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Xeddog , Can you squeeze a cable between the concrete edge between you and your neighbor?
Nope. It doesn't look like it, but when the neighbor put his concrete in, he actually used my curb as his form. Then after my concrete blew up, the power company had to come in and redo it, then used his curb to reform mine.

P.S. "blew up" is a bit extreme, but there was a gas leak under it and it managed to ignite somehow. It blew off covers for the cable and phone connection boxes, and flames were shooting up about 15 feet for a little while. Then the power company had to dig mine up to repair it.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Xedogg, why not simply put your mailbox on the right side? You can run the cable under the edge of the lawned area. That way the only bit of conrete you have to deal with is the narrow bit next to the hose reel. Be far easier.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Xedogg, why not simply put your mailbox on the right side? You can run the cable under the edge of the lawned area. That way the only bit of conrete you have to deal with is the narrow bit next to the hose reel. Be far easier.
I'll give you two reasons and you can pick one. :) 1 - If I move both mailboxes, I think my neighbor would get po'd. 2 - If I just moved my box, that would make an extra stop for the mail delivery people, and I would probably start getting a lot of nasty looks from them every time they had to make the extra stop. Not to mention that the mail TRUCK would probably complain too :) . I think it is the same truck that was used when I moved in here 35 years ago, and it was already old then. There would be a plus though. It would give all the dogs something to pee and shit on besides the ground cover which already has a lot of "over fertilized" dead spots in it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Worst case, use some solar panels, a battery and a dedicated RF link. No wires needed, but you will need LOTS of sunshine, solar panel and battery.

Another thought, but probably really expensive, hire one of those side/guidable drilling companies to install some conduit for you.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll give you two reasons and you can pick one. :) 1 - If I move both mailboxes, I think my neighbor would get po'd. 2 - If I just moved my box, that would make an extra stop for the mail delivery people, and I would probably start getting a lot of nasty looks from them every time they had to make the extra stop. Not to mention that the mail TRUCK would probably complain too :) . I think it is the same truck that was used when I moved in here 35 years ago, and it was already old then. There would be a plus though. It would give all the dogs something to pee and shit on besides the ground cover which already has a lot of "over fertilized" dead spots in it.

I wouldn't worry about upsetting the mail company. They're paid to deliver to each house. Just looking at your typical US house, most mailboxes aren't together with the neighbours, and ultimately, if they don't like it, it's tough luck. You can't run you entire life about not making the mailman stop another time. In the UK no-one has mail boxes at the end of the garden and ours do the entire round on foot and have to walk up to every house door. Different system yes. But I wouldn't hesitate in moving my mail system if some reason required it. I don't think you should either. If the mail man complains, you just say we had to movce it because a company needed to lay some cables down the side of the drievr and it was in the way. You could even pre-empt it the 1st time and wait for him then explain and point him in the direction of the new box.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera do you have in the mailbox? I would love to see pictures of that setup!
There's a thread here. There are actually three cams in the box; currently two 8MP bullets (Dahua HFW1831EP) one is a 3.6mm and one is a 6mm. The 3.6mm shows the girls arriving from the North and the 6mm captures them returning from the South, stealing the sign, etc. Neither of these bullets has audio. Because of this I took out the THIRD bullet cam (a West-facing 6mm) and swapped in a T2431TAS 2.8 just to have audio in that location. The two bullet cams now utilize the T2431 for their audio capture. There's a thread on that swap here. EDITed to correct my memory fails.

Last edited: