My Wife And The Skunk

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My wife was taking some things out to the car early the other morning and a skunk crossed right in front of her. Lucky she did not get sprayed. She paused to let the skunk run off. Here is a video of what happened.
View attachment Skunk and Adrianne.mp4

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I like how at the end the skunk does a limbo under a pretty small opening under that fence.
I have seen possums do the exact same thing. I did not realize that they could do that. By the way I have seen numerous skunks go in and out of the opening. They must have a home in that back yard.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Great video clips of Pepé Le Pew. Man, your wife was seconds away from getting sprayed.
About 10 years ago I caught a skunk in a havahart trap by mistake. I've snared rabbit, squirrel, possum, racoon, but the skunk was an unwelcome catch.
Covered myself head to toe, used a blue tarp to shield me as I approached the trap and then threw it over the trap and lifted the door enough to prop it open with a 4x4. Thankfully, the skunk eventually left. No reusing that tarp. Skunk smell is vile.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny thread title, of course I'm going to click that :lol:

Thanks for sharing. What kind of cameras?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Great video clips of Pepé Le Pew. Man, your wife was seconds away from getting sprayed.
About 10 years ago I caught a skunk in a havahart trap by mistake. I've snared rabbit, squirrel, possum, racoon, but the skunk was an unwelcome catch.
Covered myself head to toe, used a blue tarp to shield me as I approached the trap and then threw it over the trap and lifted the door enough to prop it open with a 4x4. Thankfully, the skunk eventually left. No reusing that tarp. Skunk smell is vile.
It was closer than it looked. She was just out of sight of the camera to the right when she stopped for the skunk. After it took off she started walking again to the back of the car.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny thread title, of course I'm going to click that :lol:

Thanks for sharing. What kind of cameras?
First camera is Dahua PTZ DH-PTZ1A225U-IRA-N. It is still dark out at that time of day and the camera was still in the black and white mode. I am looking to upgrade this one and its brother covering the back of the house.

Second two cameras are the Dahua IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP. They are always in color and are focused on the cars to keep an eye out for the bad guys trying to break into them. :) Anything I get in the background is an extra. ;)

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
<Snip>…. Skunk smell is vile.
That's an understatement. I'd never come across a skunk in all my years of living in the UK. When I moved to Canada and was working for that legendary company called BlackBerry, the security guard came around to warn us that there was a skunk outside. I thought what's the big deal? It wasn't until I got to experience the aftermath of a skunk, did I realise why he was warning us. Man, can those things let one off. :eek: :rofl:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it here is a picture from the previous Dahua camera in that location for comparison. Maybe this skunk is in the herd. :)
Good Lord....a herd or posse or...a bunch 'o' skunks! They even crossed at the crosswalk!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My wife was taking some things out to the car early the other morning and a skunk crossed right in front of her. Lucky she did not get sprayed. She paused to let the skunk run off. Here is a video of what happened.
Wow!
The skunk hit that corner at your bricks at 18:02 ...if your wife had gotten there about 7 seconds sooner (and never saw it) she may have gotten sprayed......VERY lucky!

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it here is a picture from the previous Dahua camera in that location for comparison. Maybe this skunk is in the herd. :)
Is that ghosting or a pack of skunks? When I saw your video there I was thinking someone in the neighborhood needs to go hunting. Your neighborhood must have quite the aroma. Definitely more than one as there were different tail positions and it looks like 2 did a stepdown at the corner

Last edited:

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Parley, the skunk is stinky cool but please tell me about the classic sitting in the driveway! I'm guessing '60's era . . .

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just noticed that skunks and California's Proposition 65 don't go together; maybe its time for the city to setup a new free toll free number 1-800-SKUNKED
What's a good deterrent for skunks?

Is that ghosting or a pack of skunks? When I saw your video there I was thinking someone in the neighborhood needs to go hunting. Your neighborhood must have quite the aroma. Definitely more than one as there were different tail positions and it looks like 2 did a stepdown at the corner

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
No ghosting. That is like 7 or 8 baby skunks with mama leading the pack. I have been going over night video for a neighbor because of someone tampering with his Jeep, and I was surprised to see the number of skunks roaming the neighborhood. No smells so far. :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Imagine if your wife had come out on them and got a group hosing!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I just noticed that skunks and California's Proposition 65 don't go together; maybe its time for the city to setup a new free toll free number 1-800-SKUNKED
What's a good deterrent for skunks?
I'm guessing then you'd be in the same situation our wildfowlers are in - steel shot, bismuth or tungsten. For anyone unfamiliar with steel shot, or in this case what would be steel bullets if from a rifle, it lacks mass and wears barrels. Whilst the other two substances are better replacements material wise, the cost is horrendous, especially for tungsten.