n00b from Ontario, Canada asks where to shop and what to buy

Berning

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been tasked with setting up a 16-camera system for a local business. They currently use a mish-mash of of low-res analog cameras, capture cards and computers. It is a mess and things are dying. They don't need anything super high-end, just reasonable. They monitor their yard, offices and most-importantly the status of some machinery/gauges.

I want to go BI and IP Cams, and I'd love some recommendations on cameras and stores that I can buy from in Canada.

I am a rural-IT guy that deals with all manner of customers and projects but I don't do security camera stuff hardly ever so I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been tasked with setting up a 16-camera system for a local business. They currently use a mish-mash of of low-res analog cameras, capture cards and computers. It is a mess and things are dying. They don't need anything super high-end, just reasonable. They monitor their yard, offices and most-importantly the status of some machinery/gauges.

I want to go BI and IP Cams, and I'd love some recommendations on cameras and stores that I can buy from in Canada.

I am a rural-IT guy that deals with all manner of customers and projects but I don't do security camera stuff hardly ever so I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
Welcome. Be sure to read through the IP cam/Dahua and Blue Iris threads. LOTS of good info here.

Use this for outdoor location help: Camera Calculator / Design Software keeping PPF>100

Also see this thread: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

The goal is to know who did it, not just what happened. With that in mind, keep cams no higher than 8ft, or the view will be tops of heads.

An Optiplex or HP Elitepro desktop with an Intel I7-7700 CPU will serve them well. The operating system should be on a small SSD, and the video recorded to a WD Purple HD. The Optiplex has room for one 3.5" internally, the Elite has room for 2 3.5". WD just released a 10TB sized 3.5" drive.

Stay away from dome cams outdoors, the domes cause all sorts of reflection issues.