N3wb question on NVR or DVR? difference and what do i need?

alexd51

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry it might be asked before but did use search and didn't find anything useful like recommendations and such.
I have a 4 camera setup that are only recording to internal SD card and the occasional recording in BI when my computer is on. Also have a synology nas and a QNAP NAS but paying to record after the 2nd camera is just rediculous in my book pluss i rather keep my QNAP specifically just for PLEX. All cameras are Yoluke and IP/POE but im only using them as IP cams because i didn't have the cat5 cable at the time i mounted the cameras so i stuck with IP instead of POE plus i don't own a POE switch at the moment .

I want a dedicated NVR or is it a DVR? to record these cameras using just the IP connection or will i have to use the POE to be able to record them? I have an older DVR from another system but it only supports 1 IP cam to be recorded.
I would like a 8 Chanel one in case i decided to add more cameras.
So what is it that i need and recommendations?
I have the cat6 cable now i just have to wire my whole house with it if i need to something im not looking forward to because of the tiny attic space and loosing 20 pounds on sweat every time im up there lol. I only wired the house for 12V power for the cameras and future LED strips. Im using a central 16 Channel CCTV Camera Power Supply.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You want an NVR. A DVR is usually for CVI cameras, composite video cameras, not IP, digital, cameras. Have a look at Blue Iris as a VMS, video monitor system. Far more flexible than any NVR and works with just about any camera brand. With an NVR the best results are liited, usually, to the same brand of cameras.

alexd51

n3wb
Reaction score
You want an NVR. A DVR is usually for CVI cameras, composite video cameras, not IP, digital, cameras. Have a look at Blue Iris as a VMS, video monitor system. Far more flexible than any NVR and works with just about any camera brand. With an NVR the best results are liited, usually, to the same brand of cameras.
I already own Blue Iris but i don't leave my computer on all the time. I want to have a dedicated recording for blue iris but not my computer. Not sure if it will be able to record directly to a NAS with the computer off? if i can do something like that then i would dedicate a nas just for the recordings of BI
Is that possible? record directly to a nas from BI if my computer is not on all the time?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use a computer that is dedicated and optimized for Blue Iris it will not consume any more power than an NVT. An NVR is a dumbed down computer after all.

Look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, for advice on finding the right hardware and optimizing it for Blue Iris.