Narrow soffit installation question

Progress

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been working on setting up my first IP security camera. I have an old i7 workstation and HP ProCurve that I purchased preowned off Ebay. I test benched my IPC-T5442T-ZE with Blue Iris and it worked. I made one run of cat6 to my connected garage (plan to do two or three more). In the meantime, I'm trying to decide how to mount the junction box and the problem I'm seeing is that the soffit is narrower than the junction box/camera. See the attached two photos. Above the aluminum soffit material is 2x4 blocking separated by about an inch of air. It feels there is blocking above the soffit trim piece closest to the gutter. The issue making this worse is that it's such a small space - the soffit material is running parallel the gutter/wall - I'm used to seeing it running perpendicular. It makes it difficult to just pull off a piece of the soffit to have access to the blocking. I wish the builder of my home would have opted for deeper eves but I got what I got.

What do you recommend in this case? Should I use tin snips to cut a hole in the soffit and use additional blocking between the existing blocking and the junction box? Is it okay if the junction box hangs over the soffit? does this necessitate a wall mount? Am I over thinking this? Whatever I do, I will likely duplicate/triplicate it because I plan on ultimately having 3-4 cameras mounted similarly on the garage.

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Cut a piece of wood about the same size as the slot. Make sure it is snug fit as you will
use some wood glue to the sides of the insert. Put a couple of stainless screws through
the overhang board. Paint, mount and enjoy. The glue joints are more than strong enough.

Progress

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Just so I'm clear, is the wood glue to connect the wood to the siding or do I cut the siding to expose the wood and then glue?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Insert it between the 2 spaces. No damage to trim or siding. Just the hole for the wire run.