Necessary to upgrade from Intel G5905 CPU for two camera set-up?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently running Blue Iris 5.6.8 via Windows 10 on a Dell T30 machine with a E3-1225 v5, 8GB of RAM. I typically only have one camera running, occasionally two. I do have Quicksync enabled, and this hardware config has worked fine for me, for many years now.

In the coming months, I'm going to retire this machine, and replace with an LGA1200-based system on Windows 11. I currently have an Intel Celeron G5905 CPU for it. Will this be sufficient for 1-2 cameras? I access this system via Microsoft Remote Desktop. I don't need/expect excellent performance, just something usable via Remote Desktop (so no "F" processor, right?) and something that won't be in a constant state of struggle with BI.

Nothing else will be running on the machine, just BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently running Blue Iris 5.6.8 via Windows 10 on a Dell T30 machine with a E3-1225 v5, 8GB of RAM. I typically only have one camera running, occasionally two. I do have Quicksync enabled, and this hardware config has worked fine for me, for many years now.

In the coming months, I'm going to retire this machine, and replace with an LGA1200-based system on Windows 11. I currently have an Intel Celeron G5905 CPU for it. Will this be sufficient for 1-2 cameras? I access this system via Microsoft Remote Desktop. I don't need/expect excellent performance, just something usable via Remote Desktop (so no "F" processor, right?) and something that won't be in a constant state of struggle with BI.

Nothing else will be running on the machine, just BI.
Two cams of reasonable resolution and frame rate should work OK on that CPU. I'd be sure to use the sub streams on both as that can impact CPU performance more positively than using QuickSync in many cases.

Reaction score
Two cams of reasonable resolution and frame rate should work OK on that CPU. I'd be sure to use the sub streams on both as that can impact CPU performance more positively than using QuickSync in many cases.
Ah, forgot to mention, the cameras are 1080p/30.

Can you remind me how to use/enable sub streams?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, forgot to mention, the cameras are 1080p/30.

Can you remind me how to use/enable sub streams?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
BI will generally locate and insert the correct main and sub streams when you add the cam by enetring IP address, username and password then clicking on "Find/Inspect".
You may then have to select the sub stream found below and to the left of the main stream URL.

Using 15FPS for frame rate instead of 30FPS is usually another way to lower CPU usage and you likely won't see the difference in the video. Set the camera's frame interval equal to the frame rate also.

Reaction score
+1^^^.
BI will generally locate and insert the correct main and sub streams when you add the cam by enetring IP address, username and password then clicking on "Find/Inspect".
You may then have to select the sub stream found below and to the left of the main stream URL.

Using 15FPS for frame rate instead of 30FPS is usually another way to lower CPU usage and you likely won't see the difference in the video. Set the camera's frame interval equal to the frame rate also.
Thanks guys.

I was able to enable sub-streams for my Trendnet camera. However, I can't determine how to lower the resolution of the sub-stream? I have read the guides, but don't see an option to change.

SCR-20240405-hswn.png

Bruce_H

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe that to adjust the resolution of the sub stream, you will probably need to login to the camera interface and change it on the camera!, assuming that the option is in the Trendnet camera setup!

Reaction score
+1^^^.
@turns2stone , the camera's webGUI is also where you also make the changes to frame rate and frame interval I mentioned in my post #5.:cool:
Cool, I see now.

Looks like my sub stream resolution was set really low (and my sub stream's frame rate and I-Frame matched the main stream per the guide), it looks like they're using the exact same kB/s. You can see in my screen shot above.

So I'm not sure it it's really helping out the CPU all that much? Either way, I learned something new, I appreciate the help guys.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool, I see now.

Looks like my sub stream resolution was set really low (and my sub stream's frame rate and I-Frame matched the main stream per the guide), it looks like they're using the exact same kB/s. You can see in my screen shot above.

So I'm not sure it it's really helping out the CPU all that much? Either way, I learned something new, I appreciate the help guys.
720p for the main stream isn't so much to begin with so yes, the sub won't make much of a difference.

Reaction score
Well that's good to know that cam can do better than 720p for the main stream. :cool:
Ya, it's kinda old, but actually goes up to 2048x1536. I'm actually of the mindset that I'd rather have a 720p/1080p resolution camera with an outstanding sensor/optics vs. a cheap-o 4K model.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, it's kinda old, but actually goes up to 2048x1536. I'm actually of the mindset that I'd rather have a 720p/1080p resolution camera with an outstanding sensor/optics vs. a cheap-o 4K model.
I bought several IP cams between 2010 and 2014 (and many since) so I can't recall which was the first. It was either a Zonet or 1 of 2 Trendnets, I think all are VGA at 480 x 240. I can't bear to part with 'em, they're in storage along with a Sricam, 2 Wanscams and an Amcrest IPM-721 which is from circa 2016 which is 720P. :cool: