Need a locking wall-mount rack enclosure to house NVR, router, switch, modem, etc.

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
The best place I've found to house all my noisy equipment is in a hallway closet. Part of this is just organize, hide, and deaden the sound, but obviously I'd like it to be as secure as possible. I'm thinking about installing a wall-mounted rack-mount lockbox of some sort with conduit entering from the attic. It doesn't need to be too big, probably around 10u to house a SFF PC-NVR, modem, router, switch, HTPC, some external hard-drives, harmony hub, home automation hub, etc.

I've seen a few offerings on eBay for wall mount server cabinets but they don't look very secure. I've also seen a number of very small secure boxes to house a single PC or DVR but they aren't big enough to house all my stuff. Are there any companies specializing in strong units of this size? Please point me in the right direction! Thanks.

TiChucker

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Need a locking wall-mount rack enclosure to house NVR, router, switch, modem, etc

I've bought 3x 6U and a 12U of this model:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015APS5F6/ref=twister_B01AZ2YX0A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They're pretty well built and look good. Single key lock on the front door, and you cant remove the side panels without opening the front door. The key lock would probably take about 30 seconds to defeat with a screwdriver and hammer though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Need a locking wall-mount rack enclosure to house NVR, router, switch, modem, etc

what about a solid wood door and a nice high security deadbolt? closet doors open outwords, so kicking it in is not an option..

very few cabinets I have encountered cannot be opened simply with a screwdriver or prybar, if they use a single steel locking pin there is too much potential leverage to be had.. has to have multiple locking points going down like a safe would.

My racks are open faced, I just secured the room they are in.. and even that is kinda moot, every tool I used to build the hardened server room is in my garage.. and then can be used to tear it down alot quicker than it took me to put it up.