Need better night vision. Swap out domes?

Reaction score
I’ve got 10 HikVision 4 MP WDR Fixed HD Network IP Dome DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras mounted outside under my house eves. They do fine during the day but the domes get dirty and thereby the night vision degrades over a few months after cleaning. The IF reflects back or just dirty. The cameras all require a ladder to clean and I don’t want to wipe them every few months. What replacement camera will provide an even better picture day and night outside without the maintenance of the domes? I’m a DIYer and want to plug and play them into existing connections and NVR. Also would consider a few that can be rotated by the app. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are some cheap cameras (even though you probably paid a pretty penny for them) as they sport 4MP on a 1/3" sensor that is designed for 720P. And the ring of IR.

You need a turret or bullet.

Consider this camera that is Dahua OEM that is 4MP on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will blow your camera away.

You want cameras with MP/sensors in GREEN.

1721227404176.png

Most here will say that 4MP is the sweet spot for these types of cameras.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Throw the domes out. They are terrible for the outdoor applications. If you have ambient light around the property I'd suggest a 4mp colorvu.
In my front we have street lights albeit they are 150 away from cameras. In the back we have little ambient light. What do you suggest? Turrets of some sort?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
BULLETS!! They see better as there is more room inside for the goodies.
Or: What is better, a telescope or a BIG TELESCOPE?

With bullets, the spider problems are far less.
You can recess them back in under the eves or stick them out for GOD and the world to see.
The 4K-X are color only even night. They have supplemental soft color LED lights too.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my front we have street lights albeit they are 150 away from cameras. In the back we have little ambient light. What do you suggest? Turrets of some sort?
With ambient light only being 150ft away I would suggest:

Reaction score
With ambient light only being 150ft away I would suggest:

Will non HIKVision cameras plug and play with my HIK nvr? If not, what would be required to use a non HIK camera? Can I replace just a few camera at a time and others not affected? Thx

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will non HIKVision cameras plug and play with my HIK nvr? If not, what would be required to use a non HIK camera? Can I replace just a few camera at a time and others not affected? Thx
If they are ONIF compatible they should work. And yes you can replace one or all at a time