Need help and ideas for tweaking a motion detect situation

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BI user for 7+ years but serious user for the past 1.5 years. I've learned so much from checking out and testing BI, forums, online tutorials, videos, etc.
Have seen many youtube vids on triggers, etc. for situations not similar to mine.
Would like some ideas on furthering perfecting two of my most important outdoor cams, both on front of house, one on each corner, both pointing to 'cross' each others path'.
My North Dahua trigger is set to min object size 255, min contrast 22, make time 0.5, object travels 400 and I'm using edge vector algorithm.
My West Dahua trigger is set to min object size 255, min contrast 22, make time 0.5, object detection off, edge vector algorithm.
Both cameras have regular zone A on (no hot spot zones).
I've been trying for months to get the cameras to avoid capturing day (tree) and night (tree) shadows, neighbor's security light coming on/off, and only capture small animals, definitely people and cars too.
So far the best I'm getting is with both cams set up as shown above with only difference being object travels 400, seems to cut out most things.

Would like to hear from anyone who has successfully set up a similar situation, catching cars, animals, people but largely ignoring leaves, shadows especially and security lights turning on/off.
It's possible that the object travels is going to be the key but hope to hear some feedback if you have done something similar to confirm this.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Getting rid of falses caused by moving shadows is a long process and unique to each situation. To make matters worse it changes with the calendar...leaves, sun angles, etc. You could start by using two zones and try zone crossing, but again, the changes with seasons make that a little tricky.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Getting rid of falses caused by moving shadows is a long process and unique to each situation. To make matters worse it changes with the calendar...leaves, sun angles, etc. You could start by using two zones and try zone crossing, but again, the changes with seasons make that a little tricky.
I know, it's difficult. I tried zone crossing with these two cams before but so far (very preliminary) the combination of what I tried with "object travels" and size/contrast/make time seems to be looking more positive than things I've tried in the past. Would still like anyone to chime in that might have conquered their own false triggers in a similar situation.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All I can offer is that I am constantly tweaking, object size, object detection on/off, zone locations and ad nauseum depending on the season. I've been using BI for about six or seven years and have yet to find a setting that works year 'round.

RubberDucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does your Dahua have IVS?

I fiddled around with BI motion detection for a while dealing with rain, snow, leaves, headlights, shadows and even neighbors security light going on and off every 10 minutes all night!

Switched to IVS intrusion and it worked great. Do make sure regular in camera motion detection is turned off and the zones cleared in case it gets accidently turned back on.

I think there's a difference between cameras on how well IVS works but it's worth a try.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what has worked for me (used three zones in some bothersome areas) however I had to use the Simple algorithm--Edge Vector wasn't reliable with multiple zones (caveat; this was several months ago--Edge Vector may be more reliable now).