Need help choosing camera location & how to mount

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what location and how to mount front porch camera? I have the Dahua PFA137 bracket already.
Locations A,B,D feel hollow.
Location D is less desireable because somebody could come from behind the camera to take it out.
Location A and B feel like vinyl siding, hollow behind.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it isn't too difficult to mount on brick (just requires special screws or drill + anchors). So location C is probably fine, right?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sure it isn't too difficult to mount on brick (just requires special screws or drill + anchors). So location C is probably fine, right?
If I put it on the brick, then I have to flip the image 90 or 270 degrees, and the camera gives me an incredibly huge fisheye view

Look at the door, why does it look curved like that? Also everything looked stretched sideways

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I put it on the brick, then I have to flip the image 90 or 270 degrees
Not true

, and the camera gives me an incredibly huge fisheye view

Look at the door, why does it look curved like that? Also everything looked stretched sideways
This is because the camera manufacturer believes it is better to fill your screen than to show the image correctly.

One of the buttons just below the video will change it to the correct aspect ratio. Unfortunately you will have to click that button every time you load the web page because China.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is normal for straight edges to look slightly curved when seen through a security camera. This is most prominent around the edges, as you can see. The fact the web interface is stretching the image to over twice its original width is making the effect much more noticeable.

Read this for more:What is Distortion?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not true

This is because the camera manufacturer believes it is better to fill your screen than to show the image correctly.

One of the buttons just below the video will change it to the correct aspect ratio. Unfortunately you will have to click that button every time you load the web page because China.
That button worked thank you. But the recorded video still appears stretched, how do I view the recorded file as unstretched? The button does nothing during playback.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
What camera are you using? And what is the lens length? Short wide angle lenses will cause lots of barrel distortion. Some cameras can correct that in the settings. If it can't though, then you're out of luck.