Need help please !!!

wjp420

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all .... New to this and am very confused by all the options available.
So far my idea is a 8ch poe nvr but just buying cameras 2 at first but expanding as needed. Looking at hikvision as they are very well liked by what i have read so far. The model numbers are very confusing ie... Some are replacements for older models......
What im looking for is outdoor winter rated as im in new york, probably 2.8mm because of the wider reach.... Willing to entertain other brands or ideas ...... Just need to have a compatible nvr

Thank you !!!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2.8mm is junk outside, go play with: https://ipvm.com/calculator and keep PPF > 100.. You'll quickly see that beyond a dozen feet or so a 2.8mm looses all capability to ID people.

dont worry about temperature ratings, as long as they are outdoor cameras they are IP66 rated (waterproof) and no freezing moisture will be inside.. Heat kills more cameras than cold.. most cold deaths involve sheets of ice or snow crushing or breaking the camera.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As nayr stated above, 2.8 is garbage when it comes to facial recognition. I have 2 that I ordered to try and after seeing the poor quality (especially at night), they have been replaced with 4mm and 6mm. I still have them but at this point its more of a "what are my dogs doing in the yard" view because thats about all i can expect from them. I won't put anything smaller then 4mm at any entrance and after seeing how the 6mm improves images, i'm thinking of replacing two of my current 4's with 6's.

Alot of others use Dahua and Huisun as they are reliable and provide great footage and features but run into issues when you combine one name brand NVR with a different name brand camera. If you can afford it, a BI PC can give you some flexibility with different brands of cameras but you'll need to invest in the BI software, switches, PoE injectors, etc. so you really need to sit down and decide just how much of a budget you want to work with and go from there.

wjp420

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the advice and the link to the calculator. I am glad i posted, think i probably would have been disappointed in a 2.8mm cam so i think ill stay away from those as i plan on placing them under 2nd floor eves. Any recommendations on 2 vs 3mp cams? Is it worth getting the 3?

Apologize for the "excessive" use of punctuation, was not intended to accelerate responses. Guess just something ive done in texting and carried over to this.

As always ..... Thank you !

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excessive punctuation does not accelerate assistance. :)
Your posts are along subiect.
Only like to have more posts.

Last edited by a moderator: