Need Help Resetting Cameras

symean

n3wb
Reaction score
OK I like to try and be self-sufficient but I am reaching my wits end here.

We bought a house which came with a Hiwatch NVR (NVR-208-E/8P) and 8 Hiwatch dome cameras (IPC-D120-I). We have the NVR up and running with a new admin password (perhaps the previous owners prepared that), but it won't connect to any of the cameras. In the UI it says password is incorrect on all of them. From what I've read, the NVR was likely reset but the cameras are still on the old password.

I have tried the password reset tool, that won't return a list of users for the camera. Tried the online tool that generates a password reset code, that doesn't work. I think because the software on them is 5.4.5 it's too new for these procedures to work?

Have tried Hikvision support but they are asking for a photo of each camera's sticker with the serial number on it. That's possible but it means getting up on a ladder and undoing 6 screws for each one, it would be a PITA :)

I was going to try and hard reset them, but last time i had one camera down I couldn't see any obvious reset button, and secondly the way the cameras have been installed, when I try to pull the attached cable out far enough to get to the connector that connects it to the POE cabling in the ceiling, it doesn't pull far enough!

Seems like all avenues are proving difficult here. My last hope of a more straightforward solution is that someone here can tell me what the passwords for them are, or send me a reset code that will work. I generated the 8 XML files yesterday (1st July in Australia), can post them if this is possible.

Cheers :)

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last remaining thing you can do is try watchfull_ip RCE on cameras. If that fails, i don think there is anything disclosed and public that would help you bypass that firmware.

symean

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorted it out - I unmounted all 8 cameras, took a photo of each serial, and sent them along with the XML file to get a reset code. Hikvision was pretty quick to respond, around 30 minutes.

Button reset wouldn't work because I couldn't pull the cords out far enough to power-cycle it while holding the button, perhaps they were installed years ago like that ro prevent theft?

We are planning on changing systems eventually though - gonna be fun crawling around in the roof to unplug each one! Will definitely put some slack on each cable to avoid this BS on the new system :p