Need help to choose my first camera (blueiris)

Enigma84

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys i'm new here :)

i was (and i repeat, was) of Chinese camera like yi camera, but now it's the time to replace them (one at time).
In the meanwhile i updated my it infrastructure, with new poe swtich, wifi ap, and i use a vpn. I want to setup a blueiris server as well (i'm doing some test but im sure ill buy it).
But now I have a problem that I need to solve with some urgency, i have to choose one new outdoor poe camera and i have ti buy it asap, it will be placed very high and the electrician who will come within a few days will have to do it.
I just read "SouthernYankeeTips.pdf" and i immediately made the amazon return for the newly arrived Reolink :)
Now i'm on amazon (again) and i'm searching "poe 8mp/4mp" with fast delivery
i'm getting theese
Telecamera Dahua 8MP 4K 2.8mm Starlight Audio - HAC-HFW2802E-A
HikVision DS-2CD2085FWD-I8MP Network Bullet Camera
Dahua - Telecamera Dahua IP 4MP Motorizzata IR60 H.265+ WDR PoE+ Dahua - IPC-HFW2431T-ZS-S2

and some more.

Are all of them compatible with anvif and blue iris?
I am open to any suggestion / advice

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to see you learned about reolink before installing!

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Sensor sizing can confuse a lot of people LOL.

Is a 1/2.8" sensor bigger than a 1/1.8" sensor? Most people say yes LOL. But it is a fraction, so the 1/1.8" sensor is the bigger of the two.

In addition, your selection above is a mixture between IP cameras and analog cameras. The analog will need a DVR or converter to work...

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Do not be sold by some trademarked night color vision (Full Color, ColorVu, Starlight, etc.) that is a marketing ploy in a lot of ways lol. It is simply what a manufacturer wants to claim for low-light performance, but there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the spec numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.001 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.0 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking. And if you do not have enough light for the camera, then you are screwed because the camera doesn't see infrared.

A member here, @EMPIRETECANDY sells OEM equipment and suggest you check out his cameras and prices:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Enigma84

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh my god, never a joy, for a while I thought it might have been simple.
This is my situation
height about 6 meters (19 feet) it's only an overview camera for my entrance, would be great to identify faces but isnt a must and i'm pretty sure my budget doesn't allow that (150$ - 160 Euro) I'm italian :)
Most of 4mp camera on Amazon right now are only 1/2,8" :(