Need help with a Stand-alone recorder system-no internet (yet)

Eagle55

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having difficulty getting a stand-alone system to operate the way I would like it too until I can get a wireless connection established. I am replacing a crude stand-alone system that used a Lorex DVR and 3 cameras mounted on a pole with power. System has operated for 2 years and done well for what it was, but time to evolve. Existing system didn't have a monitor or mouse... just cameras and recorder. When needed, it could be connected to with a portable monitor and wireless mouse and if needed video could be copied to USB stick and taken for evidence and future use. The diagram on the top of the illustration is the "end game" with the part with the fire department and police department with 4 camera each already installed and operating. What I need help in is getting a "local system" (on a telephone pole) going that we could pull up to and wirelessly connect to (with either a tablet or computer) and view recording or copy as needed until we can get the wireless link going back to the City Hall building. I understand that Hik-Connect can't do it because there is no internet available and it is a cloud based app that will not operate without internet connection. I have tried to connect the recorder to a wireless router, sign onto the router with a computer via wifi but can't get a stable connection that works as a web base connection. Need some guidance on what I am missing and how to do this so that I can buy time to eventually remove the recorder and stream the cameras directly back to the 7616 recorder where they will be recorded. I am over my head, network wise, and hope there is someone who can point me in the right direction... other than choose another career. :(

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How far of a distance are we talking about from the new location back to "base"?
If it's within reach, it would be simplest to duplicate the two remote locations you already have.
There are several here that is better versed than I with the LocoM5s that will be along to help.
Avoid Wifi, unless you are using something like the LocoM5's....you have already seen why. ;)

Eagle55

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is I want to make something easier to use and evolve from the Lorex analog system thats been for a couple of years and get it switched over to IP cameras like the new system at city hall. I don't have time to get the link up just yet but want to have the new camera in place for when I do. Once the link is up, I will "shoot" the cameras directly back to the main recorder and remove the 4 channel temporary recorder at the river site. Just wanted something a little more user friendly until I can work out the link. I'm good on doing the link, have done several, but this will be the first one that is 1/2 mile distance and shooting through some trees to get there, so not expecting it to be a walk in the park.