Need help with monitor HDMI port Auto detect

Jet427

n3wb
Reaction score
Bought a single new 32-in 4K Asus monitor with two hdmi inputs to take the place of two old 24 in 1080p monitors for NVR camera viewing and desktop PC. Unfortunately, when HDMI 1(PC Windows input) goes to screensaver and then turns off as per settings, the monitor Auto detects the NVR cams on HDMI 2 and stays on for eternity. I called Asus and no way around this "feature". I called Viewsonic and they said their 32in monitor works the same way, with no ability to turn off auto detect for the HDMI input. Has anybody found a way around this? I believe most cord HDMI switches Auto detect as well. How do I use one monitor for desktop and camera views? Appreciate the input! (Pardon the pun)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider a 2 IN/ 1 OUT manual HDMI switch as here.

I would think that since you are currently manually selecting HDMI 1 or 2 on the monitor for PC or NVR it would be the same effort and no undesired auto-detect.

FWIW, some questions poise by amazon customers re: auto-switching of this device:
Question:
Answer:
I'm happy to say there is absolutely no automatic switching. That feature does not work perfectly and is a pain. I do not want any switch to move until I manually tell it to do so. That way the switching is problem free. I would pay tripple for a switch (like this one) that has no automatic feature. It never works correctly all the time, a hassle.​
By Bill King on October 13, 2020​
No automatic switching. Use the #1 button or #2 button​
By Cakelover on October 22, 2019​
No. It is a physical switch.​
By John Timlin on March 31, 2018​

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jet427

n3wb
Reaction score
Consider a 2 IN/ 1 OUT manual HDMI switch as here.

I would think that since you are currently manually selecting HDMI 1 or 2 on the monitor for PC or NVR it would be the same effort and no undesired auto-detect.

FWIW, some questions poise by amazon customers re: auto-switching of this device:
Question:
Answer:
I'm happy to say there is absolutely no automatic switching. That feature does not work perfectly and is a pain. I do not want any switch to move until I manually tell it to do so. That way the switching is problem free. I would pay tripple for a switch (like this one) that has no automatic feature. It never works correctly all the time, a hassle.​
By Bill King on October 13, 2020​
No automatic switching. Use the #1 button or #2 button​
By Cakelover on October 22, 2019​
No. It is a physical switch.​
By John Timlin on March 31, 2018​
Yes, thanks I will try it and see. If it works as they are saying it might even cut down on button presses for me by two or three haha!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.