Need recommendation; identify plates at 70 yards

Reaction score
That actually looks pretty damn cool on specs, only thing I dont like is the sensor size but Dahua does that too on some models. '
4MP needs a 1/1.8 sensor IMHO especially for night use.
But if it is just for LPR, then at night it is going to be IR only. If the distance is too far for the cam's IR, then an IR illuminator would work, like one of these that can go out quite a way.

PoE IR Illuminator | NANO 5ME | 850nm infrared, Outdoor Rated (axtontech.com)

C4talyst

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had the cam for a few days, currently mounted in a 4th floor window. Daytime use has been great; will see how it performs at night once its mounted outside, though I expect it will be fine. Planning to use this strictly as a plate reader now. Here's an image zoomed in about halfway from my window.

One issue I'm having, started last night...when I go to the login screen or access from my IP Cam Viewer app, camera goes offline and I get a "Network Abnormal" popup. Camera has worked flawlessly since it arrived...stumped so far. Have swapped POE switch and cables a couple times; guess I'll be doing a factory reset today. Note this was taken through a window screen as well.

350368938_575700161360893_2802993655986638646_n.jpg

C4talyst

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting update, over the weekend a neighbor told me another guy up the street is an FBI agent. Apparently the agent knew all about this, had names, license plates, mugshots, entire dossiers on the visitors, and has had unmarked cars watching the gazebo over the past week. These guys have been meeting a supplier here to pick up narcotics, not to make small sales.

There are a lot of police/military in our neighborhood; they sure picked a stupid spot to do this.

If there's an upside to having spent this money perhaps needlessly, I kinda have the camera bug again. I've only mounted a couple cameras to date, have a whole assortment of 4k cameras in a box to play with that have just been sitting there.